Crane Cams - doors have been closed !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHotRod

I had to call and confirm this and report it to the company that I work for (Federal Mogul Corp.) this morning..... very sad :mad:

February 24, 2009

Crane Cams shuts down, workers laid off

By JIM WITTERS
Senior Business Writer

DAYTONA BEACH — Crane Cams, a 56-year-old auto parts manufacturer, closed its doors this week and laid off its employees, a worker said today.

The news took Volusia County’s top economic development officer by surprise. City, county and state officials were working with Crane Cams and officials from its New Jersey parent, Mikronite Technologies, to keep the company open and in the community.

“We were trying to help them through this transition,” said Rick Michael, Volusia County economic development director. “They were considering a transfer of ownership. We were not expecting any closure.”

An automated voice mail system at Crane’s plant on Fentress Boulevard announced at midday today the company was closed and suggested calling back during business hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. A call to Mikronite’s New Jersey offices produced similar results. Six cars sat in the parking lot early this afternoon at the local plant, which employed 220 just three years ago.

Inside the lobby, a reception desk sat empty. A call from the lobby phone got an answer from Dennis Burgess, who declined to comment and said no one at the plant could provide information.

In the parking lot, 14-year employee Ronald Dorn was leaving the plant for what he believed was the last time

He said workers were told during the past week that layoffs were likely, but he didn’t expect the plant to close.

Mikronite received approval in 2006 to receive tax rebates from the state and the county amid discussion about moving its New Jersey operations here. But the company ended its contract with the state in 2008 due to nonperformance, Michael said.

“Crane has gone through a series of small layoffs recently,” he said.

Crane Cams and Crane Technologies Group were founded by Harvey J. Crane Jr. in 1953 as Crane Engineering Inc. in Hallandale. The company is well known in high-performance and racing circles for its line of camshafts and engine valve train components.

In 1979, Crane Cams became an employee-owned company. Some operations moved to Daytona Beach in 1981, with the remainder of the operation and employees relocating here in 1985.

Mikronite, an industrial technology firm, bought Crane in 2006.

In March 2007, Mikronite sold its property on Fentress to STAG Capital Partners of Boston, then signed a 10-year lease.

GRRRR

That just plain sucks. :( They were always my cam of choice. After I had a remanufactured cam go flat and blow a brand new engine on my first race with it, I never trusted anyone again but Crane. Maybe other companies make their cams from fresh stock, but I knew that Crane did!

STAG Capital Group...Boston...go figure!!:mad: My company declared chapter 11 one year after a capital venture group got involved. No offense to you folks in the NE, but I'll never trust any of those east coast money hungry pigs again! OK, I'm done ranting now.

I hope they get it figured out and can reopen again someday.

Sad news indeed. My first aftermarket camshaft was a Crane unit and I've used many Crane cams and valvetrain components since. Crane was about 15 minutes from my house when in it's original location in Hallandale, Fl. You could go right there and have a cam custom ground. Again, just plain sad.

That sucks!:mad: I'm tellin ya people, this economy is gonna kill this country. Pretty soon there will be only one or two companies in each line of products we use and they will be able to jack the price and we will be forced to just pay whatever the price is. There is gonna be no competion in this country anymore and no good products to use. Just my 2 cents worth.

crane-cams-2009-580op.jpg

Crane cams

sad to here this, they did have very good products, and like it was said there will soon be no competition, and the prices will go up, thats bad news for everyone. Our gov. needs to give the small companys like this some much needed help, not the super companys that only have 1 thing on there mind $$$ ( here is my $ .02 worth ) the gov. needs to help those companys that have jobs here and tax the hell out of the companys that are getting everything from overseas, I hate to say this but we have helped this problem become so big, we all want it bigger, better, and cheeper, there is only 1 way to get that, cheep parts or cheep labor, and the american worker would not work for lower wages, we all needed more $ to buy more stuff that we really didn't need in the first place, we just wanted it and we wanted it now, and we wanted it as cheep as we could buy it, I know I always shopped around for the best price before and didnt care where it came from, just as long as I could get it cheeper than it should be, I will take some of the blame, because I don't want to work for less either, but the time is comming we all may have too to get this thing turned around, now if the power company will give me break I will make it, but not much left over at the end of the month anymore. I wish everyone the best in where they work and hope this thing will turn around and we can get back to enjoying life again, too much bad news these days.

Latest posts

Back