crankcase ventilation?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly4008

I posted this in the engine section a while back,but got no where.

So here goes again: I installed some script valve covers on my 454. I also installed a 396 intake. Guess what resulted when i did that.....thats right, no breather, no PCV, and no oil fill location.

I've installed a small PCV w/baffle going from the driverside valve cover to the carb.

I was thinking about running a tube from the passenger side valve cover to the base of the air cleaner for a means to get fresh air in. What are the down sides of this? You would think that this makes a straight shot for some crud to get sucked directly into the crank case. Another thought was getting a side mount bolt on breather, the one edlebrock makes for example. I dont want a push in breather because of the script.

Third problem is oil fill. If i was to use the push in style breather i wouldnt have this problem, but i dont want to do that. I was thinking that since i will be running an electric fuel pump, and have a block off plate where the mechanical pump should be, that i could drill a hole in the cover and weld a filler neck there. My concern is that i dont know if that will allow the oil to go directly to the pan. This was an EFI engine, so there never was a mechanical fuel pump or push rod. I know you can get a hole saw and drill through your intake for a old style filler tube/breather. I would like the looks of that, but do not want to do it because everything is installed + i RTV'd the hell out of the intake gaskets.

What if i ran the filler neck from the fuel pump block off plate, then used a push in breather cap? I would run a screw through it so it wouldnt take flight somewhere throughout the RPM range.

ANY SUGGESTIONS GREATY APPRECIATED

Joe

I think you have pretty much covered what anyone else can tell you. I don't know if the efi block had a pushrod hole drilled, pull the fuel pump plate and see. Personally I would go with some vintage side mount breathers. I don't care for push in ones either.
You statement "rtv'ed the hell out of the intake gaskets" concerns me a little. I would not use rtv on intake gaskets, it is gasoline soluble. You should never need any thing but gaskets and clean surface. I do use spray on Hi-Tack sometimes to hold the gaskets in place. It is not gas soluble when cured.
Maybe you just meant rtv on the end gaskets. Which is acceptable if done properly.

I'm also going to use mooneyes breathers with edelbrock script finned valve covers. Mounting on intake side of valve covers, about center. You then take off the top of the breather to clean filter or add oil. About $38 each.

Latest posts

Back