Cross member from 95 Roadmaster in 1937

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

I'm exploring another option for the front suspension & steering for my 1937 Roadmaster.
I have a 1995 Roadmaster donor car and I'm considering cutting the front cross member out of that car and grafting it into my 1937.
Virtually all the 95 steering, brakes, and suspension could then be used.
I'm already using the power train and rear axle out of this 95, so this would make all replacement parts from the same model car and will also save money.
This would change the 37 to a front steer set-up.
I would not be able to use the 95 steer box because it normally resides where the 37 frame passes through and supports the front bumper.
I have a 77 Scout 2 box that may work because the box sits on top of the frame and the pitman shaft goes down to the bottom of the frame.
The first picture shows the cross member I would cut from the 95. The other pictures show the cross member installed in the 37 frame.
My question for anyone who has grafted cross members:
1) Will it work for me to cut rectangular slots half way up from the bottom of the 37 frame and half way down from top of the 95 cross member so it can be slid up into the frame?
I could then have the cross member welded to the frame.
Thanks

Attachments

• Cross member, 95 Roadmaster, v0.02.jpg
    Cross member, 95 Roadmaster, v0.02.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 95 cross member installed, bottom, v0.27.jpg
    95 cross member installed, bottom, v0.27.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 95 cross member , left side, v0.27.jpg
    95 cross member , left side, v0.27.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts