Cross steer, or not? That is the question.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
I am working with a couple different steering boxes I have to determine which to use and a buddy comes by (he has been building hotrods since Moses parted the seas) and is pushing hard for me to set it up with cross steer.

I have been figuring that I would put the steering box just inside the frame rail near the firewall, pitman arm up on the outside of the frame and run a drag link.

What are the issues between the two styles?

One issue is bump steer, but from what I know (almost nothing:eek:) if its done right bump steer is not too much of a problem.

The car is short and has a lot of power:D

Any opinions, suggestions, advice, pictures, lunch, money etc would be appreciated.

Both systems work well if set up properly. It's a matter of choice. I have cross steer in my coupe and I certianly have no complaints with it. The other way is considered more traditional. Maybe some suspension guru can get into the technical aspects for ya. And theres always cowl steering too.................

Thanks Gastrick, here is a little more information.
Split wishbones, and fenderless.
Its for the Fiat.
My bigest concern with cross steer is its looks.
Somehow in my mind its better but not as cool.

I cant do cowl steering for reasons I can explain if interested.

I do have the cross steer setup mocked up in the car with the engine and frame members and it would work every bit as easy as the drag link type.

BTW what do you call the type of steering with a drag link? Does it have a name?

Ford went to cross steer in 1935. So it sure can be considered traditional. I have deliberately installed the "drag link up the side" steering in rods where I was trying to make it look like it was built years ago. Like Gastrick said, both can be made to work well if properly installed. Remember, you will need a panhard rod with cross steer.

BTW what do you call the type of steering with a drag link? Does it have a name?

Most folks call it "traditional" or side steer steering, even in catalogs. Don's cars are set up that way I believe. I would have set my coupe up that way but it came with the cross-steer so I used it.

There was a section on the Speedway site that discussed the merits of both systems. I'll see if it's still there.

Last edited:
Ford went to cross steer in 1935. So it sure can be considered traditional. I have deliberately installed the "drag link up the side" steering in rods where I was trying to make it look like it was built years ago. Like Gastrick said, both can be made to work well if properly installed. Remember, you will need a panhard rod with cross steer.

Panhard bar with cross steer?
I'm not getting that, can you explain?

A vega style box pushes on the axle, unless there is a panhard bar to locate the axle.

So, what you are saying is that as the pitman arm on the box (cross steer) pushes on the right side steering arm and the axle can move to the right because of the movement in the shackles ?

Where does it typically hook up to?
Anyone got pictures?

Gas, Your car is a nice underneath as it is on top. Tell us about the leather belt in the last pic.

Gas, Your car is a nice underneath as it is on top. Tell us about the leather belt in the last pic.

It's one of my hood straps that was undone and hanging loose at the time. I had the hood off and was installing the tri-power and rams horn exhaust manifolds. That's also before I installed the Buick drums.

Very nice Gastric and I get it, but really, use a filter or something on your camera.
You got so much chrome under there, I had to put on my sun glasses just to look at the pictures.:cool::cool:

Thanks for once again everyone for educating me.:D

Latest posts

Back