cummins swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhratrod

I bought my new cummins engine tonite going to replace the small block I still need a tranny if anyone knows of one for sale.

Nice!

just don't forget that the cummins motor all by itself weighs 1k pounds. I had to beef up everything just to handle the abuse I will put everything through:D

by beef up everything what did you have to beef up it weighs 400 lb more than the small block.

Hi Everyone

I would love to do a Cummins engine with standard trans attached...any ideas for a good source for Cummins drivetrain stuff??
I am in the upstate New York area.

Thanks for any insight....

MikeC

by beef up everything what did you have to beef up it weighs 400 lb more than the small block.

I beefed up mine for four reasons. 1. The motor weight. 2. I will be producing over 1000ft lbs of torque and 3. I'm running a suicide suspension. 4. I might drag it

That's alt of torque Holt **** mine will remain stock I have the same don't end as yours weight is approx 300lb more than small block

12valve is just under 1000lbs. Don't forget the weight of accessories. What transmission are you going to use? Any trans behind a cummins, will weigh more than a turbo 350.

The weight difference is significant. I added a winch to my jeep, I needed to change springs and control arms. I can lift the winch with my hands, not the approx 400 lbs in additional motor weight.

Steering takes a huge stress Fromm added weight. So does suspension, wheels, tires, bearings, mounts, frame. Take a look at the frame in a Dodge that holds a Cummins. Serious beef, and for good reason.

The cummins will expose any weakness. You need to find all of the weakness first.

The engine in my 01 ram3500 weighs 1160 lbs
That is the 5.9l 24valve
I hope you have a Really strong frame.
And the beefiest components you can find.

as I once heard you cant be scat my frame is 3/16 2x3 tubing I do plan on beefing everything up also.

I feel a 2X3 frame would be pretty light for the weight and torque of a Cummins.

As I advised earlier, climb under a Dodge Cummins pick up, and use a tape measure to look at the frame and suspension.

I feel a 2X3 frame would be pretty light for the weight and torque of a Cummins.

As I advised earlier, climb under a Dodge Cummins pick up, and use a tape measure to look at the frame and suspension.

2X3 would be fine. The only reason I'm running a 2X4X1/4" is because I plan on dragging mine.

Just for fun.
I just took a peek,
Yep its built like a bulldozer.

I used to own a ram 2500 with a cummins and that thing in stock form would cause the whole body to shift when I laid on the throttle. The weakest part of the whole truck was the front end. Had to replace the ball joints, shocks, and tie rods a few times(had 240k miles almost all highway.) The frame is 2x6 square tubing from front to rear. Your frame is going to have to be as strong as can be. That sbc never made 850 ft lbs of torque with only 250ponies. The weight is only a small factor. The torque is what's gonna rip your rat apart.

The old 12 valve Cummins make big torque. I jumped in a 96 one ton to pull a trailer out of our way in the yard. My buddy parked it in low range with the park brake on. When I let the clutch out the governor kicked in and the truck overpowered the park brake at idle. No throttle input. The amount of torque from the old motor was very impressive.:eek: the thirty foot goose neck trailer had a articulated loader on it. It almost lifted one front tire while it moved ahead about six feet. Pretty cool power. I've got a line on 12 valve with Allison trans for $600. Would really work well in a full rendered 40's truck.

looks like cummins is on hold now I got the specs on engine these are huge 40 " long 24.9 "wide 37.9" tall wtf my frame is only 25" wide so looks like a decent h.p. small block will do.

Latest posts

Back