Custom built Shifter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

Here's a little sneak peak at the shifter I built for the golf cart. It was quite the challenge, first I decided to relocate it so it would function without being in the way, the long shifter shaft intruded into the driver/passenger space when engaged in forward or reverse. I mounted it in an old police car spot light housing and used a stainless steel bowl for the face. I used a speed wrench for the shifter. I need to cut the shifter inside the housing and shorten it up bringing it in closer to the housing, then I need to mount the airbrush to a socket so it can be removed for dismantling the shifter for service
shifter.jpg

shifter1.jpg

shifter2.jpg

Very cool shifter Charley[cl[cl Is that an old Harley 2-stroke cart?? My daughter had one when when she was little......must have put 5,000 miles on that thing and I'm not exaggerating:eek:. We used it for everything around the house and it would haul a load like you wouldn't believe! I remember being blown away [S when I found out that the reverse lever simply reversed the polarity on the starter and the motor actually ran backwards to go backwards :eek:

No worky? Just broken images.
Sorry, they seem to work for everyone else

Very cool shifter Charley[cl[cl Is that an old Harley 2-stroke cart?? My daughter had one when when she was little......must have put 5,000 miles on that thing and I'm not exaggerating:eek:. We used it for everything around the house and it would haul a load like you wouldn't believe! I remember being blown away [S when I found out that the reverse lever simply reversed the polarity on the starter and the motor actually ran backwards to go backwards :eek:
Yeah it's an old Harley 2 stroke. I like the fact that the shifter was just an electrical switch & had just enough wire to relocate it, if it were mechanical I probably would not have been able to do so.

Maybe it's the chrome, but that is some of the classiest work I've seen from you Charley. Amazing at what you can do with some left over junk laying around. If he doesn't like it, he's a picky as.... well, you get the idea.

Good job. [cl

Latest posts

Back