Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure glad to see you back at it Torchie. The seat looks really large in there.:eek:

Thanks Dozer. Today may be a day of rest.😳
It is large in there. . Lol
I considered using buckets, and may still have to. I’ve been looking for a set of GM swivel buckets but the ones i have found are apparently made of gold.
The funny part is i hadn’t planned on putting the seat in but i am tired of it being in the way so i stuck it in the car. Now to figure out how to cut it up.
The next thing i am doing is finishing the main floor piece in the trunk.
That will be one more big piece of metal out of the way.
Torchie

So far today......Been talking with my brother about the seat/steering/brake pedal/MC. :eek::cool:
Now that our snow is mostly gone I was able to walk out to the donor for a look see at some things.
On the donor the brake pedal is close to directly under the steering column.
On the custom it is close to that.
On the donor the bottom of steering wheel is about 5-6" from the top of the seat cushion. I know that seems close but my brother checked his 52 caddy and it is the same. Keep in mind that sitting on these stock seats is like sitting on Grandma's overstuffed couch. You sink in.:p
More thoughts....
m
Many people have commented about the size of the stock seat now that it's in the custom. With all of these things something a simple as an inch more space could mean the difference between thing fitting and working together or not.:eek:
I'm still not sure how much of it will be left once I start to slice and dice to make it fit.[S
Some of the many thoughts I have had are these....
Using a smaller steering wheel. It would have to be a vintage one of course.
Buying a tilt column. Mostly a last resort kind of thing. I would have to do something to make it appear to be not what it is.:D
Bucket seats.Not really wanting to do this as I don't plan on any kind of center console.
If I did use a bucket considering a folding boat seat. Cheap enough and the fit wouldn't be an issue.
OR...
Making my own seat. That way I would get the dimensions I need. It would fold forward and I would put the locking swivel on it as well.
Any and all ideas and comments are welcomed.
k
Keep on keeping on....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpg
    IMG_4203.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 15
  • $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 14
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4199.jpg
    IMG_4199.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 20
I hope you try everthing you can to get that bench seat in. The car needs it.
Then if there`s not enough room [S you could always add a vintage 8" chrome chain steering wheel... :eek::D

You live dangerously, Torchie, inviting opinions like that. I'll start. I think you will have to have the back of the bottom of the seat sitting on the floor and the front of the bottom up about four or five inches. This will make your position more comfortable while driving. Also, the back of the seat will have to be dropped down to match the bottom and then it will have to be chopped so you can see behind you.
Try your dangedest to keep the steering wheel and column authentic.
Good luck.

I hope you try everthing you can to get that bench seat in. The car needs it.
Then if there`s not enough room [S you could always add a vintage 8" chrome chain steering wheel... :eek::D

WOW dutch. Let me go find my Cheech and Chong album. :eek::D

You live dangerously, Torchie, inviting opinions like that. I'll start. I think you will have to have the back of the bottom of the seat sitting on the floor and the front of the bottom up about four or five inches. This will make your position more comfortable while driving. Also, the back of the seat will have to be dropped down to match the bottom and then it will have to be chopped so you can see behind you.
Try your dangedest to keep the steering wheel and column authentic.
Good luck.

I can also build up the front of the bottom cushion with a bolster. Mac.
I equate the driving position in this car to my old Healy bug eye. You sit almost on the floor then stretch your legs out to reach the pedals. Still planning on using the og column and wheel at this point
Limeworks has a vintage-style tilt column, but it's not cheap.

https://www.limeworksspeedshop.com/LimeWorks-Tilt-Column-p/coltilt.htm

I didn't look but I'm sure it cost more then the car did when I bought it.:eek::D
Thanks for the comments?opinions guys. Help me think of options I may not have come up with yet.
Torchie
Oh crap sno pro. I went and looked. Wow!!!!!

My brother stopped by today. Brought me a brand new set of shoebox head lights and complete buckets. I will use them to replace the less than ideal aluminum ones on the custom.[cl:cool:
While he was here we gave the seat frame the old slice and dice.:eek::cool:[;)
Pics tell the story.
The last 2 are the before and after pictures.
I took 2 " off the bottom and 4 " out of the seat backs.
Looks like it will work.:cool:
Keep on keeping on...
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4220.jpg
    IMG_4220.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4229.jpg
    IMG_4229.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4218.jpg
    IMG_4218.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4225.jpg
    IMG_4225.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4223.jpg
    IMG_4223.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4221.jpg
    IMG_4221.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4217.jpg
    IMG_4217.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4216.jpg
    IMG_4216.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4215.jpg
    IMG_4215.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4213.jpg
    IMG_4213.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 21
Since the seat cushions are so fluffy, can you pull/tighten up the cover to shrink it up a bit?- keeping the same seat with more leg room under the wheel? [S

Since the seat cushions are so fluffy, can you pull/tighten up the cover to shrink it up a bit?- keeping the same seat with more leg room under the wheel? [S

Its possible OS i just havent got to that point yet.
What I would do on the bottom would be to tie the springs down then upholstery.
The back are a different matter. I would have to sections the springs the same4” as the seat backs. I have done that before and it can be a real pita.
My main concern was the get the seat frame cut down to match the scale of the cabin.
All has yet to be revealed .
Torchie

The screw rivits came in today.
They will work just fine.:D
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4241.jpg
    IMG_4241.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4243.jpg
    IMG_4243.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 19