Daily Driver help!!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR55

It's just a little surface rust!
94 chevy pickup with no brakelites!!! Changed brakelight switch and bulbs, still no lights. Any ideas? Getting kinda scary out there. I need the truck desperately for work.....thanks

That was my thought. Do you have turn signals? It depends on if you have separate turn signal bulbs in the rear or if the turn signals just interupt the brake light so it flashes.

Start there, and on line you should be able to find a wiring diagram for your truck. It will become a process of elimination. Use a voltage checker (even one of the $ 5 HF and others sell that look like an ice pick with a wire sticking out ouf the top.) First check to see if you have voltage coming into one side of the brake light switch. If you do see if it comes back out of the switch when the pedal is depressed.

I just had the brake lights and signals go out on my 27 and it came down to one bulb that was bad and somehow not passing current to anything else. I replaced the bulb and everything started working fine. I couldn't believe something so simple would take out everything else.

Don

PS, If you go online and put in 1994 chevy pickup brake lights you will find a lot of similar threads, here is one of them:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6860752_do-truck-tail-brake-light_.html

A couple things if the above checks out and you're still stuck.

- If memory serves me, those Chevy trucks have a ground wire on the frame at the rear driver's side. (Comes out of the harness for the lights).

- If you have one of these crappy inline trailer wiring adapters, pull it and wing it over the fence. I've chased lighting issues for hours and found them to be the problem.

hoppy781232440_260.jpg

much like the previous post, my 03dodge p/u had one filament of a bulb go out and all of the lights in the rear went out. I chased for over an hour, got ticked off and put new bulbs in all of them and it worked. I checked the bulbs later and found the culprit. my $.02.

much like the previous post, my 03dodge p/u had one filament of a bulb go out and all of the lights in the rear went out. I chased for over an hour, got ticked off and put new bulbs in all of them and it worked. I checked the bulbs later and found the culprit. my $.02.

Yeah, we were ready to start snipping wires to test for continuity and it turned out to be a stupid 1157 bulb ! :eek: Grounds are also a huge source of electrical problems.

Don

Did they ever work, do the blinkers work, do the running lights work?!

BoB

Yes at one time they worked:D the turn signals and running lights work just no brake lights. Doc. I do have one of the connectors you talk about and I will check it closely. I'm busier than a 3 legged cat in a sand box right now so I have to wait until Christmas day to make any repairs....my only day off for the next 2 months!!!! Guys, thanks for the help.....its really appreciated....CR

88 to 98 chevy pickups us a printed circuit

in the tail lamp housing.....they will go bad and cause issues but normally one side or the other.....brake like switch on pedal....check that? Ground to bed would cause other issues too more than likely...I would think the brake lite swith, column switch or those circuit boards in the tail lamps themselves...

Brake lites

Hey CR55, if none of the above check out, you may have to replace the tail lite itself. It is a printd circuit board type and when I worked at a parts store we sold a ton of em. I had to replace them in a 94 GMC I had.

Lynn

With a meter or test light check for power at the socket and frame ground. If no power trace wire back if still no power then grounds and wires are eliminated. Then check power at brake switch one side should be hot.From there it normaly goes to the signal switch then to back of truck also check your hazzard switch had one cause the brake lights not to work on a ford one time.

Wow, the tail light itself has a printed circuit board inside it? Technology sure improved the old bulb and socket ones, huh? :rolleyes: Just one more thing to go wrong.

Don

No sweat man....can't get too much input....

Sorry SgtPontiac. We were both typing at the same time....didn't see your post.

Lynn

Those taillights have been a problem since they came up with that crap...open circuit boards....???? looking for a problem

A couple things if the above checks out and you're still stuck.

- If memory serves me, those Chevy trucks have a ground wire on the frame at the rear driver's side. (Comes out of the harness for the lights).

- If you have one of these crappy inline trailer wiring adapters, pull it and wing it over the fence. I've chased lighting issues for hours and found them to be the problem.

hoppy781232440_260.jpg

Yup, first place I always look on a pickup with tail light problems is to see if there are trailer wires. Not as bad nowdays since those good plug in connectors but there are still a few gomers using stuff like household scotch locks or those blue things that cut halfway through the parent wire and have a little flap that snaps down.

Latest posts

Back