Daily Drivers in 1975

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gassersgarage

The California Kid
This was my daily driver in 75'. 350, 4 speed with 4:56 gears.
Gas was cheap then........
55 Chevy.jpg

Last edited:
man, i wish i could afford to drive something to work everyday with 4.56 gears. however, my truck has 4:11's and I've been driving that for about a year. :)

Rush hour freeway in L.A. was a crawl, even back then. Commuted from the San Fernando Valley to L.A.. But the car made it tolerable, even in summer.

Oh, I loved that car. Took it on vacation, hunting, camping,,,,,,,,,,,Then one day at work, I heard a car peeling out and though, "Gee, that sounds just like my car?" LAPD found it a month later, totally stripped. I mean, TOTALLY!. It was a frame and shell. Even the headlight buckets and clutch bellcrank were gone....

Man that's a sweet daily driver gassersgarage. I love the mix of the slots in the rear and Cragars up front. Nothing says 70's like a tach mounted high on the dash of your street car.

Early 70's.....

Running a 365 horse 327 with various carb and tranny combos in a '59 Austin Healey 100-6 2 seater.
Tried a 3 speed, turbo 350, finally happy with a reworked aluminum power glide.
My first engine swap, made tri-Y headers, ran stock rear which was very stout with 4.11 gears, cut down Ansen "ground grabber" traction bars.
G-60 tires on Cragars in the rear, 5.00 x 15 on the front with cut coil springs.

I had never seen this photo till just recently, mom's sneak picture from the dinning room.
The hood is off because I forgot to secure the duetz(?) fasteners and wrapped it back over the windshield, removing some skin from my knuckles on the steering wheel and scaring the (insert your choice of word) out of me at about 65 mph..... :eek:

Looks like a single 4 barrel at this time.... The only give away that something was different was the rear wheels and tires and the sound. Everything else was hidden.
Lots of good Huntington Beach / PCH memories ( playing with V12 Jags and such :D ) and "why did I sell this car" ???? Still like open cars and wire wheels though..... ;) '22

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 13
In 1975 I was driving a Pontiac Station Wagon that usually had plywood or paneling and two kids in the back! :D Was doing the "family thing" back then.

But in the late '60's I had exactly the same '63 Bonneville as the Captain had. A beautiful red convertible. A local Dentist had traded it in, and I had just gotten out of the service and needed a car. At the local used car dealership I had three cars to pick from in my price range.........a Jaguar XK120 roadster ($ 1200.00) a '57 T Bird ( $ 1100.00) or the convertible at $ 1600.00. I ended up putting a 421 cam in it and trips off of a '64 GTO (I paid $ 40 for the complete, ready to bolt on tripower set up.......I think it was hot, but I didn't ask :rolleyes:) I also converted the car to a three speed stick with Hurst shifter (couldn't afford a four speed).

That thing surprised many a car, it would really haul for a big convertible. I wish I had never sold it (and I also wish I had bought the other two and stored them)

Don

I think I'll cry now. I just pulled up what one of these Jags are going for today.

1953 Jaguar XK 120 US$ 110,000

Last edited:
In '75 I had a killer VW Beetle, pedal powered, fire engine red. Probably cost my Dad way too much for the time. I wonder what happened to that thing.

Don: a former Boss of mine sold an original Shelby Cobra in the early 80s before the prices went nuts. He's probably still beating himself up from that.

a Jaguar XK120 roadster ($ 1200.00) a '57 T Bird ( $ 1100.00) or the convertible at $ 1600.00. I ended up putting a 421 cam in it and trips off of a '64 GTO (I paid $ 40 for the complete, ready to bolt on tripower set up.......I think it was hot, but I didn't ask :rolleyes:) I also converted the car to a three speed stick with Hurst shifter (couldn't afford a four speed).
I think I'll cry now. I just pulled up what one of these Jags are going for today.
1953 Jaguar XK 120 US$ 110,000
Now you got me crying:(:(:(

In 68', I bought a 55' Chevy Nomad for $500,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back