Dang it... Too many options. SBC, LS2, or 4.3 Turbo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Option?

• Option 1

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Option 2

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Option 3

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Something else entirely.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
J

justsomeguy

I had a fairly good plan for the motor in my build, but I just had a wrench thrown into the plan with a new option. As of now, I have three choices on the table. I am fairly comitted to running a GM motor because I already have the scatershield bellhousing in the Chevy bolt pattern. Also, I'm not real familiar or comfortable with the other brands. Options are below. Please vote and give your reason why.

1: SBC, 383 CI, 6.0" rods, AFR 210 Heads, RPM Air-Gap manifold, flat tappet mechanical cam of yet to be determined specs, Holley 4150 style carb. Should be in the 500ish HP range and will have a really choppy idle.

2: 6.0 Liter, Domed piston on stock rods/crank, L92 Heads, Victor style intake, Mechanical roller cam, Fuel injected with MPFI probably run by a FAST "EZ-EFI" kit. The most expensive (I think) option, but probably the most fun and streetable. Easily 500hp could be closer to 600hp depending on cam and tune.

3: 4.3 Liter Turbo Motor from a '92 Typhoon. Complete take out including ECM and radiator/intercooler. Could do a mild build and make some good HP. It would definetly have that "something different factor", that's for sure. The motor needs a headgasket, but ran when it was yanked. Also, it's free.

be different lol go rotary light weight plenty of power lol just kidding. i am a fan of the classic number one...sbc easy to fix parts are more than readily available and super cheap to get tons of power. thats my .02

Of the given choices, SBC the 383 is a really nice piece and more suited to a rat rod type build, you don't really want fancy efi type stuff do you ? To me part of the rat rod genre is old skool simple and on a personal note, I like radical idle and gobs of power ! Good luck

I think I'm gonna run the SBC, but I believe I'm going to change the setup a bit. 500ish HP is still the goal but will take a new approach at it. I'll probably save a few bucks on the heads and maybe run some ported Iron Eagles and drop a 6-71 with a pair of Eddy 500's on top.

I know there's more efficient and cost effective ways to make this power, but... I'm a sucker for a blower. I've always wanted one and this is the machine that will do it.

I for one vote you get that ty/sy engine and pull the ecm wiring harness,and turbo setup and at my dime ship it to me,THEN go with the old school sbc,or grab the 6.0 and get a carbed kit for it ! I did one in a 40 chevy coupe,and it was great,out of the box with a good carb it cranked over 3 times and was running smooth as FI but with a carb.Dead reliable to !

I voted # 1 Because I have a 388" SBC left over from my 10 sec race car. Nothing in the world like a Bad Ass N/A SBC motor. And it will definately motivate the next car/truck I do if I ever find a decent priced body on the east coast...

Dare to be different !!!:eek::eek:
Go the turbo 4.3 route. SBC in anything is way overdone IMHO.

go with something different...if you are stuck on sbc than do something old school like a 283 or 327 stroker or with an old style supercharger.

Back