Dangit.... The kids of today.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookie Bros

The Deacon of Diesel!
I seem to have taken a kid from the next farm over- under my wing so to speak.....

Lemme explain with a lil backstory.......

He had bought hisself a big lifted Ford Powerstroke- with money he had worked for chores on his family farm and what repair work he took on out of the farm's shop. Good kid.

He had nothing but headaches with the truck and it mostly just sat- broke down. After swapping the engine- he quickly put it up for sale as he was warned profusely about the powerstrokes faults. :rolleyes:

He came by the shop and asked if I would look at a dodge for him as he was itchin to get it. (I knew from the start- lol-) I gave him some pointers and told him what to look for- and for godssake drive the thing down the road at speed as he told me he already went and drove it around a parking lot.

I went on Craigslist and checked out the ad and told him no more than 5K. the ad was "7500 firm * I don't need to sell this truck- so no low ballers!" He said really?? only 5? Yep hit the seller in his throat- that's the max I'd pay from what I see.

He sent me pics on my phone later of it in his possession, and I promptly congratulated him and welcomed him to the dark side.:D He did get it for 5K- after the seller cried and moaned about it- he sold it.

I stopped by and checked it out- good purchase-12V club cab 5spd 4x4- has a couple minor rust issues but he is getting the patch panels and he wants me to show him how to install em so he can learn how to do it himself. :D

He's telling me he wants to clean the frame,paint the undercarrage- remove- WAIT what ! I said DON'T TAKE THE TRUCK ALL APART ! We will fix it and tune it but we will also drive it and have fun while we do it- most importantly we will learn how to tune what is there before throwing every trick part of the month at it!!!!!

He looked at me funny then I could see my words sink in......

I said if'n ya itchin to get goin- start cleanin underneath- go get some wirewheel goodies at homerdome. I'm goin to my shop to work on my rat rod.[ddd

Alittle while later he is calling me tellin me he is done farming askin what he should get as he was heading to the store :cool:

He must have texted all of his buddies as he told me his "Big 12V cummins buddy" was coming by to look at it later- I giggled. :rolleyes:

Obviously he wants to have alil diesel hot rod. He wants to know what to buy first. I said filters- go get yourself some service filters and to remove the orange one and NEVER EVER USE THE 4 Letter Word Orange Junks Again!

I told him we need to have you tune your truck now as there is approximately 120 horses just waiting to be tuned in. [S Really?? He goes.....

My whole point is to teach him how to tune his mechanical injection pump- have raped ape power- yet not be a smoky pig- showing your inabilities on proper tuning.

I told him if'n he ever wants to sled pull or race or whatever- we can easily adjust the pump for it. But we can also tune the truck to get good mileage- do all the things he wants to do and still run like a raped ape. Tune what ya got and we will also make sure you put that power to the ground effectively and reliably.

I see my wisdom sink into his head.:D

I said let me know what yer big 12V buddie says.

He texted me that his buddy said to take the fuel plate out- LOL :rolleyes:

I said yeah if ya want a smoky lagging pig of a truck- he promptly agreed and conceeded that's exactly how his buddies truck is.

*Wants me to stop by tomorrow- LOL - I told him I will show him the proper way- but IF I SEE ANY SHENANIGANS- I'M TAPPING OUT-! And no fuel plate has me getting twitchy. He said no way ! Teach me how to tune it!

[P I'm gonna have him runnin circles around his buddies- they won't know what hit them.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it"

Looks like you have him thinkin' straight and headed on the right path.

Well, at least he listens.
I know a guy who had his 4x4 running in the 11s and drove it everywhere. He spent tons of $$$ on it though. My nephew has an old 12 valve on the ranch with a torque plate, that old sucker pulls like jack the bear and has 450,000 miles on it. Makes me cringe to think about that much seat time herding one of those wondering hogs down the road though.
I've driven a couple 12v with the six speed conversion, talk about a marriage made in heaven. I'd love to have a 12v six speed in an old Ford.

Glad to hear you took him over to the "dark side" ! My hats off to you for taking the time to teach the young un....[cl

I'm with ya Pookie on the smoke pukers :eek:
The younger crowd doesn't know the difference between a well tuned engine and over fueling one :(
It takes patience to help someone and you have the knack for getting the point across [cl

Latest posts

Back