"Dark Sarcasm"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBARA,
PM sent back to ya. I hope freight isn't too much. Starting to look forward to this transaction.

I don't think I have said so out loud, But thanks to everyone that has helped me with ideas and suggestions, much less offering parts to get them out of the way.

Thanks a bunch

I wanted to get something done on the truck today but there just isn't anything to do without some things I do not have. O-well.....

I wanted to take a closer look for myself to see just how low I was in a static drop. Not too bad considering I still haven't spent much money at all on the suspension mods.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 20
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 16
The first pic above I like just cause it looks mean.
Second pic shows the tag mount/step I got off of my dads van after he wrecked it.
Third shows how much ground clerence under it.
Fourth shows ground clerence to the crossmember.
And the fifth pic shows ground clerence to the LCA. 4in. ground clerence with a static drop. That is much better than I expected.

Anybody notice anything missing in this first pic?

pic 2, just for giggles
pic 3, to show a little tire tuckin in the front.
pic 4, Another profile pic of where it sits right now.

I have to ask a question, Every since I lowered the front like this, the motor has run very rough, what I want to know is this "Is a holley carb that sensitive to not being level ?"

If soo, I need to get in a hurry to set the backside down to level it out.
Thanks ahead of time for any answers.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 24
i'm not a carb guru but i would say that the tilt could be part of your problem with the carb. they are meant to be sitting level when running. should be fine when you get the back end down. or if you want that rake i know they sell plates that will raise up the front of the carb and make it level. there could be ways of tuning to adjust for this as well but i wouldn't know. still learning myself.

Flatster,

Your ground clearence from the front axle centerline rearward will decrease when you lower the rear of the truck and increase from the front axle centerline forward.

It's highly possible that the the current rake on your truck is causing the fuel level in the front float bowl of the Holley to be too high. That may well be the issue with the way your truck is running.

As you can see from these pics, I just couldn't stant it anymore. I had a brain "poot" a while back and just had to give it a try. Up side down mounted leafe springs. Now the rake goes the other way and it is a tail dragger again.

Of course it won't be staying this way. Mianly wanted to give someone else an off the wall idea that they would not have to bagg it just to get it this low.

Tell me what you think...(Besides "Youre smokin crack dude")...:eek:

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 26
If your going to run your springs upside down you have to restack the leafs on the otherside of the main leaf....just an fyi

I did figure that out in the process.
But NO, I'm not leaving it that way. Mainly just wanted to see if I could do it.
Question answered, Yes, it is feasable, but not without a severe step notch out back.

(See post #123 this thread). I've gone this route on a lot of trucks I've owned. If you want to go a bit lower, you can even cut the rivets on the spring perches and raise them up on the frame.

Jeff

I'm kinda hopeing I will get the above flip kit for my birthday.
I really wanted to make it myself but just don't have everything I need to do it.

Reason4, hint...hint

WELL,
I got off my lazy "asterisk" today and put the rearend back to stock location....You know what that means, YUP, it is a "Nose Skrubber" again.

Got to lookin and thinking after I was done....I have enough tread plate aluminum to cover the floor in the truck bed, and seeing how much of a "cheapskate" I am, I think I'm just gonna go ahead and do the floor that way. Maybe clean it all up (a lot) and leave it that way, then just paint the runners red, leave the bolt heads the way they are and call it all good.

As always, Your thoughts mean a lot to me on this one.

I thought you already had the wood pieces?

But I'm the same way. I'm keeping the shortbed off the 80, so I can cut the floor out and put it in the 52's bed.

Wood looks cool, but I'd be afraid to throw an engine block in the back.:)

Well,
I do have enough wood to do the bed, but it would have to be buiscuited together and would be very flemsy. Wouldn,t last very long under my "Abusive Behavior". Still may have to lay the aluminum over marine plywood to get the strength I'm after.....

Still not sure though.

Flat has been working so hard this weekend on cleaning out the garage, and he made it as far as being able to get the truck in it with room to move around and work! It looks 100% better than before!....:D Now all that is left is getting up the mess that is still outside :confused: :eek:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG