Daytona Roll Call

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
Well it's that time of year again. The Turkey Run in Daytona Beach, Florida is Thanksgiving weekend. Me, my, dad, and my brother will be driving up on Thursday morning as we do every year after having our traditional, family, Thanksgiving Day dinner on Wednesday instead. We then pack up a bunch of cold turkey sandwiches and head out for the trek to Daytona.

Speak up if you are going to the Turkey Run and post a photo, or describe what you'll be there in so that everyone can find each other. Maybe we can have a small meeting like we did last year. I suggest the same spot as last year unless someone has a different suggestion.

We'll be driving the same clunkers as we did last year. We didn't finish anything new. If you spot any of these cars that will probably be parked together, stop by and say hi. Have a safe trip. I'll see ya there.

Maybe!

My wife is probably gonna run for office & it depends on the upcoming election as to whether I'll be doin' Houston Autorama or Turkey Run... always wanted to make the run & hope the coin lands heads up!!! I'd love to drive my Chevelle out yonder!!!

We'll be driving the same clunkers as we did last year. We didn't finish anything new.

Ummm... quick change!?!?

BoB

Thanks for pointing out this thread, Bill. I missed it. Yep, we will be there. We will have my T and my Son's T. Don isn't taking any chances this year, and will be towing his T there, but I am driving. After all, these things were built to DRIVE!! :D:D

We plan on meeting like we did last year at the get-together Bill mentioned, at the end of the track. That was perfect last year, and maybe Hotroddaddy will even stick around a little longer this time. :p

These are the two cars we will have there.

Don

sanibelpictures022-2.jpg

donstatshow2.jpg

I am thinking that attendance at TR will be down this year. Some people who went to Biketoberfest last week have reported there was a significant drop in numbers, both attendees and vendors. I have also heard that other events around the country are off quite a bit too.

I did notice I had NO trouble booking a room at the Ramada, right across the street from the track, and no trouble registering late for the event itself. In previous years you had to get an early jump on things or you were out in the cold. It is not just gas prices (which are temporarily down anyway) but the economy in general........people are just not spending money like before. Even though I am back to work I am being very cautious with my money and banking everything I can because I'm just not certain what next week or next month might bring.

The upside is that there will probably be some GREAT deals in the swap meet and vendor areas this year. I'm not looking for anything in particular, but if something is too cheap to resist..........................:rolleyes::D

Don

I am planning on going, too. Whether I make it or not is still up in the air. The financial climate is not at all favorable for anything that costs more than a newspaper. If I don't make it, it'll be the first time in over twenty years. I'll be in my coupe.

I would like to go down that way myself.Is it a really good show? I have a few guys that said it was ok but they seem to say that about everything.lol I would love to find some good stuff for my 30' A project and get away from work for a few days.

My Son's and I have been going to TR for over 25 years. The first time we went it was in a little parking lot (church, I think) and we have been hooked ever since. My favorite part is the swap meet and for a lot of years we would spend all our time digging around for stuff we didn't need, but wanted anyways. :D Most years we wouldn't even make it over to look at any of the cars on display.

The cruising on streets like A1A is very cool too. Every night you can prop yourself on a lawn chair, sip a cold one (if you hide it :p) and watch tons of rods and customs driving by all night. I think at last count something like 6,000 cars were there last time. If you have a chance you have to go, plus, in November the weather is generally just about perfect.

Don

Hey Don,

Tell your son not to worry about breakage and to live a little.....on the edge that is. I know he broke last year but he wasn't alone. On my unlucky 13th year driving my vette to the TRR it had a mysterious fuel or ignition problem occur. I only made it about half way and then had to call a friend to borrow the trailer to get it to the hotel parking lot. We replaced the fuel pump and did a test run and thought that fixed it........until the problem resurfaced on the way home. After some roadside work we limped it home. Gastrick ran a new hardline for fuel delivery and we rerouted it farther away from the exhaust. New electric fuel pump, MSD box, and MSD distributor. Hope it works because I'm driving it up again. See you there.

Here is a pic of the vette getting unloaded at the hotel. Very embarrising but I felt a relief just getting there.

Yep, SR, it happens to us all sooner or later, especially if you use them the way they were intended to be driven. Cool Vette BTW. Your family seems to have a knack for having great looking rides. Your Pop brought you guys up right! :D

Don

Don't let my brother speed racer fool you Don. He didn't really break down. I can't prove it but I'm pretty sure he saw the dark clouds in the distance and faked a mechanical problem so he could catch a ride in to Daytona in an enclosed trailer before the rain started. Notice how clean, dry, and shiny his car his car is coming out of the trailer. Coincidence?.........you decide :D.

This is how it looked arriving at the hotel through my windshield. My car?.......Not clean, dry, and shiny :D.

Ill be there guys! and i look forward to hanging out as usual, Its always a highlight to my year.

Latest posts

Back