DD steering shaft question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippyDoDog

Is there such a thing as a rigid 3/4" DD shaft connector? I can't seem to find one in any catalogs. There's all kinds of adapters (3/4 to 1", etc) but no 3/4 to 3/4.
In the pic below, I need to install a U-joint at the end of the column, then cut off the factory vibration dampener, then if I could find a connector, weld it in where the dampener is, run a length of new 3/4 dd to the new U-joint on the column. Hope that makes sense. :rolleyes:
DSC02427.jpg

If you take a junk steering column apart you will generally find enough of a DD sleeve to use as a connector. Like this:

FiatSteeringDone001.jpg

that looks nice bob w.

zippy, i think i seen a sleeve like that on a chevy truck column (74-84). go to the junk yard and look around. it will have more attached to it because its part of the slide/ flex joint on the trucks. once you find it, cut it down like bob w said.

Thanks guys. I do have a spare S-10 column. Any idea if it would have one. I hate to cut it up, I thought I may use it sometime in the future, but maybe I'll tear it apart if it has a sleeve.

Look inside the collumn its self . rangers have a dd attached to the steering wheel then a really long sleave that goes over the dd and comes out the bottom of the factory collumn. it has to be tapped off with a hammer cause its pretty snug to the dd but mines probably pushing 12" or more

Thanks again. I tore into the s-10 column and sure enough there's everything I need....
ac48799812fe.jpg

f73671bc2580.jpg

One more question. I wondering if I can leave the vibration dampener in also.
It's not rigid but it's not as flexible as a U-joint either....
385a8e70d9d7.jpg

66749e05671a.jpg

I'm thinking if I leave the vibration dampener, I'll need a support bearing. I would just go ahead and add one, but I don't have a real good place to bracket it.

Just in case someone reads this thread who is also looking for a coupler, I did find one at Summit:
Flaming River Steering Coupler
part # FR1945
both ends are 3/4" DD
Of course, thanks to the help on this board, I don't need one now.

Latest posts

Back