dead caddy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnite kid

i love the looks of hearse,motor turns over but he has only one valve stuck,he hit the valve to get it to move,it opened but now has no way to close it to work it loose,any ideas:confused:

Attachments

• death caddy.jpg
    death caddy.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 50
  • deathcaddy2.jpg
    deathcaddy2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 53
  • deathcaddy3.jpg
    deathcaddy3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 28
Try to soak the guide area with some penetrating oil. Also try using something to gently pry the valve back up. Be carefull not to bend the valve stem. Also might try to get the spring off where you could get hold of the very top of the valve with some vise grips and try to turn the stem. Be very carefull not to loose the valve down in the cyl. Also don't scar up the surface of the stem.

I'm going to assume that the valve spring is still on and it's still able to stick in that down position. If this is the case I would say it's time the head came off and was dealt with properly as there is likely some serious rust issues going on in there. What ever you do, don't turn the engine over untill that valve is moving freely. Do you own this car now or just planing of buying it?

no i dont own it,just belongs to a guy i know,hes lookin to sell it as he already has a hearse painted orange and black(harley colors)has a flathead bike in where the coffin rides.its a badass car.would love to have but have to many projects now

From what I can recall from days gone by, that vintage of Caddy had vavle issues. But easily taken care of by rebuilding the heads and a good reason to install hardened valve seats for todays rotten fuel.

Try to soak the guide area with some penetrating oil. Also try using something to gently pry the valve back up. Be carefull not to bend the valve stem. Also might try to get the spring off where you could get hold of the very top of the valve with some vise grips and try to turn the stem. Be very carefull not to loose the valve down in the cyl. Also don't scar up the surface of the stem.

I disagree with this advice- if there is enough rust to stick the valve, then the best method would be to disassemble and hone the guide for cleanup if it's able to or install a new guide.

By trying to force the valve to move you risk scratching that rust along the guide and the valve stem which will magnify itself over useage......

Do it once correctly.:D

Latest posts

Back