Dead or Alive

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all!

Maverickmk - I use Photoshop as my main editing program. I start by isolating the truck so its details are more clear than the background. The painted look on this one was done using several filters within Photoshop. I used Topaz Labs "Adjust" and "Simplify" filters on separate layers to boost colors, soften background and give "painted" look. I also added oil brush strokes and a canvas pattern using Photoshop built in filters.

I've been using this technique on a lot of my work lately:

Fire & Ice - 2 - Painted by Mike Rogers - Driven Imagery, on Flickr

27 Jim Hull - 1935 Bugatti Type 57 SC - Take Two by Mike Rogers - Driven Imagery, on Flickr

1942 Ford Pickup Truck - Painted by Mike Rogers - Driven Imagery, on Flickr

602 Randy Rosetta - 1970 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 - 01 Painted by Mike Rogers - Driven Imagery, on Flickr

You really nailed the technique with the Mustang. I'd swear that is colored pencil and watercolor. Part of it might be the simple background. (What painter would want to paint 32 detailed people in the background!?)

Just curious, but did/do you do any painting or are you all photo manipulation?

That is simply amazing. I may have to give Photoshop a try. I would like to do some stuff like that. Thanks for sharing some of your secrets.

Jeff (aka Bonehead) - Sounds like a great idea. Now I just need a good weather weekend that works for the two of us. My day job project in Grand Junction is all wrapped up, so I'll have to work a trip out there on my own time and money.

When are the shows in Moab and Fruita? I need to try to make it this year if time and travel budget allows.

If Willie Davis gets the Big Merc done and Mike Partyka finishes up his latest truck project; I should try to make the rouinds and get shots of all of you if we can work out the locations and logistics. Lots of great builds on your side of the hill!

Might even make time to visit Grand Junction Mike from RRR.

PM or email me if you want trade some ideas.

--------------

Found these while searching the net:

April Action Car Show
Moab, UT
April 25, 26, 27, 2014
http://moab21.com/moab_car_show/schedule/

Mike the Headless Chicken Festival (who could possibly resit a festival with this name?) :)
Fruita, CO
May 16th & 17th, 2014
http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/festival

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back