Desert Car Kings ??????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I know we have discussed this show before on here, and also that they occasionally visit us here, but I watched the show last night again and really have to comment.

I think any time someone puts out a show based on their work it should be the very best they have to offer. The cars being cranked out by DVAP are not much more than a quickie Scheib spray job, some parts scavaged off of other similar cars, engines and transmissions pulled from some car in the yard, and a coverup interior done in a day or two. If they were auctioning the cars as such that would be one thing, but I have heard terms like "full restoration" and "rebuilt engine" used at the auction block and IMO neither is truthful.

For example, the term "full restoration" means just that. Every component is brought back to factory specs and appearances or replaced with a new part. I have never seen them do a rotissery job on any car, nor have they rebuilt major components like the rear end, transmission, brakes, engine, suspension, etc. On the 68 Charger they did last night they plopped a rusty 383 and transmission out of some car, put it directly into the car, and then had the nerve to say at the auction "the engine has been rebuilt." :eek: Unless they editted out the machining, rebuilding, and painting of that engine, it was not done.

Another area is the bondo they apply to get the car presentable. Every restoration has some filler in it, that I get, but you need to apply it sparingly and over a SUPER clean substrate. They were smearing tons of filler over panels last night that still had rust on them and were proud of that work. I pity the guys who buy these "fully restored and rebuilt" cars because I bet it is only a matter of time before the bubbles start showing up under the paint job. They sort of explain away that shoddiness by saying "we are selling driver quality cars at a fraction of their true value" but that doesn't make covering up bad steel and junkyard motors right.

The icing on the cake was when they took this Charger "Muscle Car" to the drags and it turned over 19 seconds in the quarter !!!!!! [cl For Gods sake, a stock VW beetle turns those times! [cl If that engine were healthy it should turn no more than 14 flat, even the 2011 Charger on the show turned that.

You guys at DVAP may be a good source for old car parts, but you really need to stay away from the "restoration game." :rolleyes:

Don

The term "Reality Show" very rarely applies....

A ton of the work done by DVAP and even that Car Warrior show is sub par work at best..... I agree... and your right.... I would hate to see these cars if driven on the road as a "driver".... the thing would fall apart in no time.... but...I guess that's "entertainment"....for some....

I hate reality shows and never watch them. I tried watching the first one, where they did the '65 Cuda and quit half way through. I get enough reality at home. I watch shows to be entertained.

The cars being cranked out by DVAP are not much more than a quiFor example, the term "full restoration" means just that. Every component is brought back to factory specs and appearances or replaced with a new part. I have never seen them do a rotissery job on any car, nor have they rebuilt major components like the rear end, transmission, brakes, engine, suspension, etc.

Yeah, the old man goes in and tells the guys they have two weeks to get the car ready for the auction. Two weeks? This ain't 'Overhaulin'! :eek::eek::eek:

Toad

I've never seen the show, but I have to wonder how much the DVAP team has control over what makes it to the screen.

smarter than.........

they gotta be smarter than they portray on the show or l think they'd go outta business.

l watched about one episode. the one with a 1966 convertable chevelle and it was a joke what was done to that poor car. the man they got it from said he knew nadda about the engine and the idiots started it with out even removing the distributor and primming the engine. 2000 miles it'll have a flat cam and bearing problems:eek:

l guess by there standards, us guys on here must rebuild or replace everything to factory specs:rolleyes:

Later:cool:

I have watched a couple episodes and could pick the whole thing apart. The prices their cars bring reflect the kind of work they do. Scabby old used engines, bent frames that they heat and straighten, lots of slip-shod work if you ask me.

I would love the show if they would just walk through the yard with a camera checking out every car inside and out, I would never miss an episode. As it is now I'm almost embarrassed for them...it's really bad...and getting worse each new episode.

I will defend them a little, I know it's almost laughable at times, but I still watch it!!

Of course I'll watch almost anything on cars, especially old ones!!

I like the show but have to agree with you guys what your sayin. Being a body man and mechanic, there is NO way that a car can be put together like they do it without cuttin alot of corners. I'd have to agree that if they would just walk through the yard with a camera and show all the old cars, that could eat up a whole season and be very worth watchin.

I've tried a couple times to watch it but found I wound up yelling at the TV and changing the channel in disgust. Unfortunately some viewers will see this drivel and think this is the way cars get built. I think it would have been more appropriate if these were lost episodes of Mayberry RFD with Gomer Pyle and Goober doing the building and Andy Griffith was the old man. At least then we could laugh without feeling guilty.....

gotta get in on this -even if i'm late:eek:

watched part of one episode...a cadillac...pulled up in a truck with an engine off their yard-not the right engine, size or yr model & a 12V engine the old man wanted to convert it to 6 volt to keep the car original-:rolleyes: give me a break! if its a newer motor change the car to 12 V it would be better for everyone...but it wasn't even gonna get a rebuild, just put in...i couldn't watch any more....

as for as what "control" they have over what winds up in the show...i understand what you're saying, but they can't put "bad stuff" in the show if the car crew didn't do "bad stuff" i have done things i'm not proud of-we all have-but to invite people in to make a show about your work you'd better pony up!

Latest posts

Back