Design help please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pablo...Gastrick threw out the original idea and then this great bunch of guys added some more ideas. I took some of that and did a couple quick sketches, because sometimes words don't always paint the picture (at least for me). Glad that you like some of the ideas and that we as a group could help with some of the ideas.

As far as the history lesson, I figured there might be a few of the younger crowd that might have heard the terminology, but not sure where it came from. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and want to share some of this worthless info bouncing around in my mind before it disappears. (speaking of worthless info...one of the 50's sex goddesses is buried about 15 miles from where I live....Jayne Mansfield. Not sure if she was a local girl, but she found her final resting place in Pen Argyl, PA....see some more worthless info)

Sorry Bonehead....I pulled that picture from the net for "educational purposes only" You might have to do a little research on your own

Not that I dont like the previous suggestion of the "Dagmars" (I do). But to keep it a little cheaper till you find the parts, how about 3 '59 Caddy bullets in each bezel mounted in a baby moon hubcap.

O
OO

Just an idea. Cool bed idea.

Hodag

they are all good ideas, i think i will take Unk Ians Idea with multiple tail lights until I can track down the other parts needed.

Pablo

tailend

In case my wife would happen to be driving behind you, put some sort of big rubber cushions in there for the impact,.... just kidding.
I think the exhaust running through there with your caddy lens mounted in the upper fin holes would look as my teenager would say, pimpin.

Last edited:
The '56 Chevy lenses I've got are around 3 3/8" dia.
nomad-01-04.jpg

I think the '64 chevy is the same diameter,different profile.
imagemagic.php

The '59 Caddys are smaller,and longer.Couldn't find the size.

Maybe you can fit three or four of the same size,
maybe you can combine sizes.

Easy enough to draw some circles and find out.

Lots of lenses here,but they don't give the diameter:
http://www.execmall.com/Night%20Prowlers/NP-taillights%20&%20stuff.htm

Thought you might want to take a look at these. 57 Chevy front bumper bullets. New $55

Ebay item # 360000992587

Saw the 59 Caddy taillights over at mooneyes for 34.95

Coming in late on this one,BUT,...........
The exhaust through the big holes ,but to trim the pipes a bit run them through a set of chrome center caps off of the FRONT of a 4x4 truck with lockouts! understand?Just my $.02

yeah,with some radair spike lugnutz holing them on !

Maybe roddingron could sketch up a few more ideas ( Notice I don't mind volunteering other people , but he did such a good job earlier , anything I would do would pale in comparison. )

I guess that's one of those...all who aren't volunteering take one step back:confused:

I'll gladly throw a few more sketches together if wanted. Pablo it's your call. If you want to look at some other options...either what's been suggested here, or something else you may have come up with, let me know. I grabbed a few other shots from your build thread so I can try and give you a couple other looks. just let me know
Ron

I was looking at the front of a 55 caddy bumper, and I was thinking that taking the bullets, and the outer portions of the bumpers, turn them around and put them in the light holes.

I will make a sketch to show you what I am thinking, it will tak me a few minutes to post it.

Pablo

Attachments

• 69938029_eafefe6334_m[1] (Small).jpg
    69938029_eafefe6334_m[1] (Small).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 12
I was looking at the front of a 55 caddy bumper, and I was thinking that taking the bullets, and the outer portions of the bumpers, turn them around and put them in the light holes.

I will make a sketch to show you what I am thinking, it will tak me a few minutes to post it.

Pablo

Pretty sure I know what your saying....I can work on a sketch tomorrow (not tonight anymore...gonna watch the 8 o'clock football game now that my Redskins won). How about the 56 Chevy tail lights Unkl Ian suggested? Possibly something else for the tail lights? Let me know and I'll get something brewing tomorrow

OK here is what i was thinking

here is a quick sketch, i would like to make a roll pan for the open area where the old bumper used to be.

Pablo

Attachments

• sketch of back of truck (Small).jpg
    sketch of back of truck (Small).jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 20
Although I do like the 59 Caddy lights, I too, feel that they are over used. However, I do have a thought on what to do with the original tail light location. How about a couple of surplus jet engines or a pair of surplus JATO engines? Both suggestions would add more significantly power plus they would curb tailgaters.

Thats a great idea, right up until i have to explain in court how i melted the fiberglass off of the front of some tail gating tuner in a wind up Honda LOL but it might be worth it.

Pablo

Latest posts

Back