Did you build.......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyf

Did you build model cars as a kid?

I have built 100s of them, I had tons of spare parts Id use on other models. swap engines, hell Id buy one car knowing I had some rims at home that would look cool on it.

So did you build model cars as a kid?

Nope.....started working on real ones at 12....

had a 51 buick at 13.....never had the urge to do models......but some of the ones I've seen are darned nice.....I appreciate the time and effort that you guys put in on them.....lots of patience...

Yep. My bedroom reeked of glue and enamel for a few years. (I should sue Testors for brain damage.)

A few of my favorites...

- '63 split window 'Vette
- '59 El Camino
- Bandag Bandit
- Spitfire fighter
- USS Constitution
- Wankel rotary engine
- A chute body slingshot dragster. (Can't remember whose.)

My little brother smashed most of 'em and yes, he had the scars to prove it. :D

I still have a few in a box somewhere.

Did you build model cars as a kid?

I have built 100s of them, I had tons of spare parts Id use on other models. swap engines, hell Id buy one car knowing I had some rims at home that would look cool on it.

So did you build model cars as a kid?

All of the above and more, I would graft them together. most out ragest one was a 57 chevy with a KW roof chopped and raked.

I built them when I was a kid, which was up until last year or so. When my son was old enough for glue, we built them together, later on he built several on his own.

I put a lift kit on a jeep the other day and followed the instructions. Just like I used to.

yes, probably hundreds of them..mostly cars, but a few airplanes and ships also..
lots of customizing,swapping parts, custom paints etc..

Built cars, pickups and a couple planes.
One day I went in my room and my little cousin had broken several.
I was mad as hell and Mom, trying to make me feel better said, you can fix them.
To this day, I've never built another model.

Mom had bought for me a Frankenstein Diorama from a garage sale someone had started on. the glue that came with it was orange scented and smelled like chemical oranges. I can still remember what is smelled like. kinda nice...too nice..hoober doober goober goonie googoo babble burble GGGGGGGGgggg ahhhhhhhhh where am I?

I never huffed glue but i got high just using it normal.

One of my fav quipps is when someone says "you know what I like the best" I like to say "the sound glue makes when it hits the bottom of a paper bag?"

Anyone remember the Bandag bandit? or the midnight rider tow truck?
I had the "moving on" semi and the BJ and The bear cabover models.
I paid $60 for an original 1973 AMT model... it's Buck Baker's 1973 firebird stockcar unopened in the original celophane with all the contingency stickers.
i'd like to build some of the old racecars. I had a few funny cars back in the day. Alot of that stuff you can't find new anymore. it used to be alot cheaper to get copyrights and stuff models used to be treated as advertisement for corporate products

73frmd10.1.jpg73frmd10.2.jpg73frmd10.3.jpg

had a 51 buick at 13.....never had the urge to do models......but some of the ones I've seen are darned nice.....I appreciate the time and effort that you guys put in on them.....lots of patience...

Small world. I also had a '51 Buick at 13. Light blue with a white top...paid $50 for it from one of the old neighbor ladys and drove it for about 2 years before I could afford a better car, also a blue and white Buick but a '53.

I used to build them until I was maybe 25 or so. I got lucky at Jefferson WI swap meet one year way back then when a hobby shop had their inventory there they were clearing out because they closed their store. $3 each. I bought every kit they had that interested me.
I still have all the cars I built in boxes in our basement along with all the parts I had from kit bashing. My son keeps asking me to pull out one of the ones that isnt finished so we can do one together.

sure did! Not as many as some, but a bunch. I been building junk since I was about 2, legos, model rockets, model cars anything and everything

Speaking of models, my oldest brother who is about 70, still has a closet completely full of unopened models from the 50's and 60's..Got to be hundreds of them in that closet..I've only seen behind that door twice in my lifetime..

from about 5 or 6 years old to about 20 years old, by the 100's. wasn't much on ships and planes but did a few.

Speaking of models, my oldest brother who is about 70, still has a closet completely full of unopened models from the 50's and 60's..Got to be hundreds of them in that closet..I've only seen behind that door twice in my lifetime..

:eek::eek::eek:
That is awesome

yup. AMT big rigs were the best even if you had to paint everything cause they were all white. Had the visible V8, a big 78 vette, and about 250 of the regular ones. Still remeber taking the wheels and motor out of an IMSA mustang and putting them under a Monte SS. Looked like GTA wheels but wider!:D

Latest posts

Back