dilemma; difficult or perplexing situation or problem

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59imp

First let me say that I created this mess and I take full responsibility. So, a lot of you read the story about Speed and the 55 Chev tow truck. When Speed got sick, I had to make a lot of decisions, none of them were easy or enjoyable, and one was to get rid of that truck, no one in my family wanted it, and I didn’t want to sell it and have it leave town. So I made a decision and donated it to the local chapter of the Vintage Car Club of Canada. The deal was they were to restore it, and it was not to ever be sold for profit. I knew a lot of these guys and they knew Speed and that truck. Long story short, after several yrs they decided to get rid of it, blah blah blah, they basically screwed me out of it, and sold it, but that’s history, like I said my fault entirely.
So today, Fatdog and I went and took a look at it, some old guy has it, it’s all parted out, the wrecker deck is gone, original frame, tranny, engine gone, but the entire cab and front clip is there, it’s rough but savable and the guy has a 57 GMC frame, box (rough) and driveline that go with it. The guy seems real genuine and honest, and is not in good health, and when I told him about my history with the truck he seemed really interested.
Soooooo, I asked him if he would be willing to part with the cab only, and we talked for quite a while, and he asked me to make him an offer. I left it with him to think about it and come up with a price. And here I sit. I really don’t need another project, but the history I have, learning how to drive in it, all the years of racing, cruising around on Friday nights with my buddies when I was 16, and that’s the truck that towed the Impala home, all these things are compelling me to get it again. Maybe for my nephew, he’s 19 now, I’d really like it to stay in the family this time.
So what i'm looking for is some sincere input here. Do I just pay his price no matter what? Do I risk losing it again? I already have so many projects on the go and am thinking about building a house, but if I get it I can at least control the destiny of the thing and buy some time, hell I’d just like to have it back even as yard art.
This thing is really pulling at me guys and I messed up on it once, I just want to make the right decision here………
So post away, I’d really like to know what you all think.

Thanks in advance…… mo

the truck today

DSC03844.jpg

DSC03847.jpg

DSC03848.jpg

DSC03850.jpg

DSC03853.jpg

I say go for it. He might not even want that much for it. You don't want to be kicking yourself in the @$$ over the same truck twice.:D

Whoa!

Imp,
Hummmmmm... those guys could have least offered to give the truck back 1st though. Real shame. I sold my old 5-window '52 Chev to my Dad's best friends' son & he turned it into a rust bucket. It really hurt so I know how u feel! Coin toss is all I can say!!! Also, you may be able to sweat him out on that price... $2500 is a lot for the remnants (IMO). Good luck!!!

BoB

Wow, you learned to drive it it? That would tick me off too, them guys just letting it go. I am the bigest sucker I know for the sentimental stuff. Some dont care about that stuff, but I do. Having said that, there is something else I have come to in my own little car world, ..... it is just a car. I know its special but it is just a car, or truck in your case. Yeah, we are all here at RRR and its all about cars but sometimes there are more important things. At least thats what I am coming to. You will allways have the memories and they're free. They dont consume any of your time, they dont weigh much, you dont have to move them around the yard, find parts for them, or nothing. If you got the energy, get the truck, or just move on and try to keep the memories positive.

I also would just try to get the door. Then I would keep it some place where it wouldn't deteriorate and where I could look at it often.

pick it up, dont regret letting it go again. it means something to you, obviosly more than just another project a peice of your history. the kid would love it im sure.

thanks for the input guys. i really want it back, i guess i was just thinking out loud. the Vintage club never restored it, i think they started with good intentions, but ended up just parting it out, they should have done the right thing and given it back, but didn't, this is a small town and i'll remember that.
i haven't heard back from the current owner, but i'll keep ya posted to the outcome. if it's not meant to be, i'll live with it.
it'll never be a wrecker again, but would be a cool work truck or hot rod.

thanks again.... mo

You know we all go through some hard times and do stuff to make things work out for the time being. But, and I know this is going to hurt, but it also makes sense, is to let it go and move on. I really miss some of my old rides and look back at some mistakes I made in the past, but to be realistic is to be practicle.
You said you are going to be getting another house, and you have more projects then time to finish them all. Take a picture of the old beast and get it enlarged, then frame it for the shop. Memories are easier to reflect upon, then having it setting in the yard going to waste and kicking yourself for not being able to complete that project.
Yes it is real hard to make the right call! But times are hard for many of us, and I know all of us could find a place for $2500 other then another project to have around the house. I say this from experience and regret of doing the wrong thing myself from the past. A picture is worth a thousand words.:cool:

Maximo

Latest posts

Back