Disc Brake and Wheel Backspace

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmontanez

Hello,

This is my first thread on RRR, this site kicks ass and I had to join! I am a youngster and fairly new to the game. I love rat rods! I have started my first project, which is a muscle car (not a rat rod), a 64 chevy chevelle to be exact. I am not qualified to step into the rat rod world yet....

I just installed a disc brake kit on my 64 and I want to know if my wheels fit properly and what are signs of them not fitting (caliper rubbing on the wheel).

my wheel set up is (GM steelies):

rears: 255R/60/15 on a 15x8 wheel with a 4.25BS
fronts: 235R/60/15 on a 15x8 wheel with a 4.25BS

all wheels do fit on the car and they do not seem tight, although I will have to roll the rear fender for the the tire to clear, but I was told that the backspacing of 4.25 will not work and that 5" BS was the way to go.

i dont want to buy new wheels

thanks

Thanks Old Iron, I just introduce my self to the community! The wheel center hole is big enough to go onto the axel flange, I am able to bolt the wheels onto the axels with the disc brakes on. I'm just confused because I was told that 15x8 wheels with a 4.25 backspace would not work with a disc brake set up, but they seems to fit fine. I can't drive the car yet to really know how things are working but I don't see why they wouldn't work?

The only thing the BS should affect is where the tire/rim sit compared to the frame and body. It'll make no difference how the rim connects to the hub.

The reason they told you a 4.25 BS won't work is because it will rub the fender lip. Even if you roll the fender lip, when you have a couple fat chicks in the back seat and hit a bump is the tire going to rub the inner fender?

Pic that will help explain back space

Hope this helps a bit

Attachments

• backspacing_diagram.gif
    backspacing_diagram.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 13
Thanks you guys. Ha, I don't plan on having any huskies in the backseat as I will not be installing a backseat....but hey you never know.

thanks again

The only thing that would keep your wheels from working on disc brakes is if they were not made for disc brakes. A rim is two pieces welded together, the part with the holes and the outer rim. Looking from the front at the outer edge of the part with the holes it should have a big hump to clear a disc brake caliper. A non disc brake wheel will be flat across the piece with the holes. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back