Do my eyes lie to me..?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

Ok..spent almost 4 hours bolting things together for my front end.Now the hubs arent on it but for strange reason that front end seems WAY to high in the air....Or do my eyes lie to me..? I checked a few builds and I dont see nothing that high up.....is that motor really going to make in lower then it is..? Maybe remove a few a leafs..?

Hehehehehe..forgot pics for the qusetion...

Here ya go....Hmmm....

Attachments

• SANY0401.jpg
    SANY0401.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 195
  • SANY0400.jpg
    SANY0400.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 211
Hmmm it does look kind of high. You are using an undropped axle and spring over so that will make it high and there are quite a few leaves in that spring. But before removing any, wait until its all together to see where it will sit. It will go down several more inches when you add the engine and all.

Mine was similar on mock-up I ended up with seven leaves to you're nine. It would also be possible (maybe necessary) to de-arch But I agree with 56 you need to mock-up with approximate weight and see were you're at. You also need to get you're leaf eyes below the perch eyes. In the second pic it looks above it.

here's my 2 cents......

most pics that we see on here are of a spring behind the axle configuration-it helps to put it in the weeds....with the spring located over the axle, options are limited on lowering it-but not impossible. i think when all is said and done a flatter arch might help,and you may want to consider moving the spring to the top of the frame-mount (a little cut and weld redo, but would help the lowering a bunch) but like others have said-mock it all up 1st then you can tune it to get ride hight where ya want it....

Last edited:
You can't de-arch the spring because it will change the eye-to-eye distance and foul up the shackle angle. You also can't put the spring on top of the mount in a spring-over setup like yours, so don't waste time doing that. It will bottom out on the mount and cause much more headache than you have now.

Pull 3 leaves and send your axle to Nostalgia Sid's to be dropped. It will get you where you want to be. Here's a link...

http://www.droppedaxles.com

2008_0701box0019.jpg

Here's a shot of the front end in the '25 Dodge I recently built. You can review the whole build thread if you so desire. It has a 4" drop Super Bell axle, and a Posies 7 leaf reverse eye spring. The spring here is either a 1" or 2" lower than stock unit. If I remember it had quite a bit less arch than yours as recieved. The car weighs about 2400lbs. It has a long wheelbase and the small block Chevy engine is set back a bit. So the weight on the front end is pretty close to what would be on a T Bucket. The spindle centerline is 12" (24 1/2" tire) and the top edge of the suicide spring perch (the flat plate where the bolts are) is at 11 1/4". You can expect your spring perch to ride about 4" to 5" higher than what you see here if you take out 2 of the smaller spring leaves.

Last edited:
Thought so...

Yeah I kinda thought I went the wrong direction without having a dropped axle, just couldnt afford to have it done.The axle was packed up and will be sent to Sids..( Thanks for the info..:D ). Sending the spring back to Speedway tomorrow.I will call Posies on Monday because they are the only ones who carry a spring thats 36 1/2 inches from perch to perch.:( I am kinda hurting for cash so it will take some time to pull this off....Thanks so much everyone..Yeah Bob W,you nailed it.Thats what I am after.I hate starting over...BUT ya gotta learn.:(

Yeah, you kinda have the gasser look going on there. :D You have me wondering when you talk about a 36 inch spring. What is the center to center measurement across your spring perch holes in the axle? It should be something like 36 inches, which means you would need a 31 inch spring, the most common one out there.

Something isn't right.

Don

I checked the catalog..

If you check a Speedway catalog ..( I believe its page 86..) you will see the spring I used,580-2074L. I asked about this in another post about using it and went off what I was told.The measurement from centerline to centerline is 40 1/2,now minus 4 1/2 like the catalog says and I get about 35 inch measurement.I called Speedway and they said it might work,but they really dont carry anything that long.I looked and looked everywhere and the only place I found one was at Posies...expensive,but what ya gonna do..?:D

Your spring perch is too low - - The perch should be raised, (ie, longer sides) On axles with less drop you need a taller perch to keep it low

Latest posts

Back