Dodge front drum brakes ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyotb8

Hey Everyone, I've heard that Dodge pickup front drum brakes from about 62-71 will bolt to my old 39 Plymouth pickup front axle spindles. I'd like to run those big front drums, my truck will be no fenders, kinda old school. Any way to know except to go get a set and try them ? Any tips ? Any one done any other big drum brakes on an old mopar ? I'm new at this, and of course don't want to waste any $$ ! Any ideas are most appreciated !:confused:

Check with Charlie Akers at rustyhope.com he does basically bolt on disc brake kits for the 30's-40's Mopar cars, but I don't know about the trucks. I am running one of his kits on my 48 Plymouth Coupe and it works great. Was installed in a day as all it required was drilling the spindle mounting holes to a slightly larger size and tapping them with new threads. From there simple bolt on. Price was good too, I have just under $500 in the entire set up.

A buddy got some '70 Dodge pickup brakes from me and adapted them to a 1930 Dodge, used the '30 spindle, not hard at all, so I would think they will fit your '39. He welded up the holes in the backing plates and redrilled them to fit.

Thanks guys ! I contacted Rusty Hope, and am considering his disc conversion, But would like to build my truck as it might have been before discs and MII suspensions. I'll see if I can find a set of the newer truck drums.

dodge front brakes

When you find out about weather the drums from the 62-71 dodges work please let me know. I want to know if they will work on 31 Ply. axles. :cool::cool: I have a 31 plymouth that I want to use the stock spindles and axle on and want to save money any way I can.

Thanks guys ! I contacted Rusty Hope, and am considering his disc conversion, But would like to build my truck as it might have been before discs and MII suspensions. I'll see if I can find a set of the newer truck drums.
Where are you located ?
We're gonna pull a set off my Grandson's 69 Dodge pickup in about three weeks

Where are you located ?
We're gonna pull a set off my Grandson's 69 Dodge pickup in about three weeks

Hey there Old Iron, I'm in Springfield, just down the road. Let me know about those brakes, I'm interested ! Thanks

Latest posts

Back