Does a timing gear need balanced

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid

I picked up an aluminum timing gear for my flathead and IMO the quality is lacking. There is a fair bit of casting flash that I want to clean up. Since it's such a light weight component I can't imagine that cleaning some of this up will cause any balancing issues with it but I just wanted to ask here first. I should be OK.... right?

Thanks,

Sid

I didn't think so but this being my first engine build I wanted to check.

Sid

On race engines we've built for circle track, we usually only balance the crank & pressure plate, & clutch disk...

Not to stir things and I agree on, no need to balance, but I have been collecting a few flatheads for a project and noticed Henry balanced the pullies on the water pumps. I thought of it as overkill, but I like the attention to detail on these engines.

Of course the crank rod and pistons, I also include the rings if it a race engine. I only will have the dampner only done if it an external balance engine.

The timing gear does not need to be balanced for an internally or externally balanced engine. It will not have any effect of balancing. I use to work for Beck Racing Engines in Phoenix, Arizona when going to tech school back in the 80's and I had this same question come up back then. It is a good question, but not to worry! Balance your crank, rods, pistons, rings, balancer, and flywheel.

Not really sure why the cam gear doesn't need balancing, but the fuel pump eccentric on other engines doesn't have a counterbalance and it doesn't seem to matter.

Not really sure why the cam gear doesn't need balancing, but the fuel pump eccentric on other engines doesn't have a counterbalance and it doesn't seem to matter.

Probably not enough rotating mass to make a difference. Most timing gears are aluminum and weight is minimal. The weight of the rest of the rotating assembly is massive, hundreds of pounds.

Latest posts

Back