Does this make sense to do?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossWired

So I've got this '70 Caddy and if you don't know, they freaking huge. Going along with the size thing, the trunks are huge.

I'm thinking to adding 3rd row seating, in the trunk.

I'll start with some type of bench seat that can lay flat when not in use, trunk hinges reversed somehow and likely split for a a hinge or two for folded storage behind the bench seat.

Can anyone offer any drawbacks? Suggestions? Comments?

Like you need more room for passengers in that boat !!!!!!!!:D:D Years ago they used to sell something like you decribe for 55-57 T Birds. It was a rumble seat and they called it the Birds Nest. I forget all the details but the trunk lid flipped back to make a backrest somehow.

We owned a 70 Sedan DeVille years ago, loved that car. I was looking for a second car for my wife and this was during the gas shortages of the mid 70's. Economy cars were through the roof pricewise and when I was at one used car lot the guy had a line of Cadillacs sitting there that he couldn't give away. We drove the Caddy around the block and were hooked. It only got 10 mpg but it towed our boat like it wasn't there and never let us down.

Great cars.

Don

Here, I found this picture online of a Birds Nest.

Don

birdsnest2.jpg

If you put passengers in the trunk you won't have room for the air compressors and tanks for the air suspension that we KNOW you're going to install on that barge...:D

Flipping that big trunk lid up is like raising a bloody mainsail. :eek: Sounds like a bad idea unless you plan to set 'er afloat.

Besides, the trunk of a big Caddy is for hiding bodies. Do your best De Niro impression and drive it. :D

deniro.jpg

I had a 70 coupe deville....great riding car....loved gas!!! If you raise the trunk lid for seating probably lower your mileage to about 5!:eek: !!!

Sounds cool, but like Dr. C said, no way you can flip up the whole trunk lid into the wind. Have to make a smaller rumble seat lid that only flips up a couple of feet.

You can keep the large lid hinged the way it is, and have a smaller one that hinges backwards within the main trunk lid. That would be cool.

Then you could cut some pocket steps in the side of the fender like fighter jets have, with spring loaded panels that close flush. Ooooh the possibilities...

I was thinking the lid would be split into a 3 section and store behind the seat.

Funny part is is that I haven't actually driven this car yet. I drove it home and started tearing it down.

I'll get her going first then circle back to this.

Thanks for the pic of the rumble seat.

Since yesterday, the whole whacked-out idea made me think. So I'm studying pictures of 70 Cadillacs, and the huge piece of sheetmetal. I think I'm having a moment of brightness, then I came back here and read the thread again. Don had the idea right from the start. Big Irish hit on it, too.

Look at this. The "Bird's Nest" Don mentioned.

birdsnest1.jpg

birdsnest.jpg

So much for a moment of brightness, the room just went dark. :D

get a Cadilac long roof like mine
i,m planning on adding rear seats too :D

Attachments

• nono 016.jpg
    nono 016.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back