Donor wheel options for 1937 Buick

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

I would like to use traditional style painted wheels, poverty hubcaps, and trim rings on my 1937 Buick Roadmaster.
I want to run radial tires that are either 205/70R16 or 205/75R15 because they will be compatible with my drive train.
I've found numerous Buick dog dish hubcaps that vary in size with inner diameters of 7.75, 7.875, 9.75, and 9.875 for different years.
1) Can anyone recommend a modern 15" or 16" wheel with a 5 x 5 bolt pattern that one of these hubcaps will fit?
Thanks

Attachments

• 37 buick bright blue.jpg
    37 buick bright blue.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for your help Willowbilly3.
Chevy 1/2 ton truck wheels would be a readily available option, but I believe they are designed for 10.25 ID dog dish caps.
I have a list of 5 x 5 wheel cars, but was hoping someone else may have already found one compatible with the Buick hubcaps.
Thanks

I'll do some more research on the 1/2 ton chevy pu wheels.
56 buick poverty caps are the latest model that I've seen that have the block letters that look similar to the 37 Buick.
Do you know if 56 Buick wheels would be compatible with tubeless radial tires?
Thanks

I'll do some more research on the 1/2 ton chevy pu wheels.
56 buick poverty caps are the latest model that I've seen that have the block letters that look similar to the 37 Buick.
Do you know if 56 Buick wheels would be compatible with tubeless radial tires?
Thanks

They will be riveted wheels and probably not rated for tubeless but I've never had any leak. I'm running riveted wheels on my rpu and they hold air fine. If in doubt you could seal them with something like 3M undercoating or rhino liner.

Are the caps you're looking at retained on the inside or outside of the wheel center, and are they intended for clips or for the nubs on the wheel? This will affect your wheel decision.

I believe all the Buick caps are retained on the inside.
I know that the 37 Buick hubcaps were retained by clips on the inside and would assume other 30's & 40's also to be retained by clips.
I'm not sure about the 50's hubcaps.
That info would be good to know.
Thanks

Now that you mention it I think Buick was about the last one to give up the clips and may have used them beyond 1954. If you are talking about the clip type, then they aren't going to fit the 60s and 70s 5 on 5 wheels.

Yeah, when I got my repop 36-46 GMC hubcaps modified to fit my Wheel Vintiques wheels I learned this. Not only are the hubcap retaining methods different, but the size of the back of the hubcap and the recessed part of the wheel around the bolt circle also changed. It's not always as simple as putting clips on a newer wheel, as your hubcap might not even fit that wheel. I suggest you find wheels, then once you have something you can find hubcaps that fit. Or you can get the hubcaps first and then find wheels to go with them. Either way, get one and then find something to match.

Latest posts

Back