Don't tempt fate! Motorbike rider dies protesting helmet laws!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to ride all the time without a helmet. There is nothing like it in the world. I loved it, and would never use a helmet again. But shortly after I had my first daughter, I decided that I should sell the bike and become a responsible parent. It's now 8 years later and I have no desire to get another bike. I think you need to ride with a little fear, but not too much. A respect kinda' thing. At this point I feel I have a little too much fear and I think that is not a safe way to ride. If you get jittery every time a car gets close to you, or a something like that, I think that's when stupid mistakes happen. No real science or experience behind this, just my personal theory. [S

I believe riding a vehicle is a right. Endangering others is not.
That is not what the courts say. That's why you need a license to drive and a vehicle code to enforce. There was a guy in the neighborhood I use to patrol. He refused to get a license or registration because he believed it was his constitutional right to drive.. We kept taking him to jail and impounding his cars, which he never got back because he wouldn't pay back registration fees. Even his kid lost his motorcycle because he thought the same way. That was 28 years ago, I wonder if he still feels the same way........

That is not what the courts say. That's why you need a license to drive and a vehicle code to enforce. There was a guy in the neighborhood I use to patrol. He refused to get a license or registration because he believed it was his constitutional right to drive.. We kept taking him to jail and impounding his cars, which he never got back because he wouldn't pay back registration fees. Even his kid lost his motorcycle because he thought the same way. That was 28 years ago, I wonder if he still feels the same way........

I stand by my original statement. That's why driving around like an idiot on your own property is legal, but doing the same on a public road is not. I agree with licensing laws, etc. - they are supposed to be about keeping others safe. The same for vehicle inspections. Helmet laws, crazy strict emissions laws like in CA, etc. are not right in my view.

I agree with Sam and Gasser. You may have the right to endanger your own life but you have no right to endanger the lives of others, especially women and children!

Toad

I lost a very good friend on a bike. He had an old man pull in front of him and he flew over the handlebars, his helmet came off and he landed on the pavement helmetless. I don't know if his helmet was on right but it was not his fault. I saw the accident on my way home from work that night, very bad thing to see. I have never rode again and sold my bike without ever riding it again. Cars are not 100 percent safe either but I will take the chance in them. That is why I call them "murder"cycles. I love bikes but I am done riding them.

Well, its 4a.m and cant sleep becuase of my back... Here is my take on the helmet laws...I too have been riding for 30+ years. I have had uncountable accidents in the dirt. One of which I have no boubt that would have resulted in brain injury if not for the helmet that my Dad got me in the habit of wearing when I first begun. My wife would argue the point about the lack of brain damage though:rolleyes::rolleyes:. I dont think its right the government "protects" us from ourselves by forcing us to use seat belts or helmets. I wear mine everytime NOT becuase of the law but I protecting whats left of my noodle between my ears,( I still hate seat belts and dont wear them until I see a cop:rolleyes: and never gave out a seat belt ticket! I have wrecked more cars than what some people have owned in their life..still drive daily;))
Bottom line you could have helmets hung all over you (including the headligt like the one in that picture!) and you can have seatbelts straping you but from the firewall to the trunk with a 8pt roll cage,it dont matter. When the good lord calls you home its time to go, there aint none of this "hang on a minute I need to...." see ya on the other side(I hope your going the place!)

If everyone had to ride a motorcycle for 2 years before they were allowed to drive cars we would have a lot less accidents of any kind. If you don't maintain situational awareness in every direction, you are going to be a statistic. You just can't ride a motorcycle like you haplessly drive a car. At every intersection you must be subconsciously prepared for the car to pull out in front of you. It has to be a conditioned response. You always ride with your mind thinking of a way out. Even in my car I never take a green light at the speed limit without looking real hard both ways, I've seen too many people run a red or worse yet a cop blowing the light at twice the speed limit. I came inches from getting wiped out by one once. Several large box vans and trucks were in the right lane blocking my view and I saw the light turn green, I was in the center lane with no cars ahead of me so I stupidly proceeded on into the intersection and a cop, who the truckers saw, came smoking through about 80 and barely missed me.
Yeah, I know a few who would have made it if they had a helmet on but they wouldn't have even been in a wreck if they had been paying attention.

If everyone had to ride a motorcycle for 2 years before they were allowed to drive cars we would have a lot less accidents of any kind. If you don't maintain situational awareness in every direction, you are going to be a statistic. You just can't ride a motorcycle like you haplessly drive a car. At every intersection you must be subconsciously prepared for the car to pull out in front of you. It has to be a conditioned response. You always ride with your mind thinking of a way out. Even in my car I never take a green light at the speed limit without looking real hard both ways, I've seen too many people run a red or worse yet a cop blowing the light at twice the speed limit. I came inches from getting wiped out by one once. Several large box vans and trucks were in the right lane blocking my view and I saw the light turn green, I was in the center lane with no cars ahead of me so I stupidly proceeded on into the intersection and a cop, who the truckers saw, came smoking through about 80 and barely missed me.
Yeah, I know a few who would have made it if they had a helmet on but they wouldn't have even been in a wreck if they had been paying attention.

I agree. As for emergency vehicle blowing red lights and stop signs. They can be at fault if they hit someone. Even with the Move over law. I teach emergency vehicle driving and we go over this in detail and even show law suite were emergency vehicle operators end up in jail and loose everything. But I would not test fate with one of these vehicles.

Here an interesting fax. I was just in a update class and I was told that every 5 minutes an Ambulance in the USA is involved in a crash.

An emergency vehicle is supose to slow down and proceed with caution.

Amen to that brother! What ever happen to real drivers education and whats with the parents being able to teach the kids to drive(pick up their possible bad habits)?

I've ridden helmetless for 30 plus years...had a few close ones, but nothing serious. Looking back I realize the odds are against anyone who rides. I still ride, but a brain bucket goes on now. I CHOOSE to wear it. If you don't like them, don't wear it....my 2¢ worth.

I agree. As for emergency vehicle blowing red lights and stop signs. They can be at fault if they hit someone. Even with the Move over law. I teach emergency vehicle driving and we go over this in detail and even show law suite were emergency vehicle operators end up in jail and loose everything. But I would not test fate with one of these vehicles.

Here an interesting fax. I was just in a update class and I was told that every 5 minutes an Ambulance in the USA is involved in a crash.

An emergency vehicle is supose to slow down and proceed with caution.

Many years ago a good friend of mine was killed on his Harley by an ambulance that blew a red light with no sirens on. Bystanders said there was no siren but the driver said it was on so the court went with that and Scotty's family got zip.

I say it's your choice IF you have health insurance and a long term care policy...I don't want my tax dollars paying for some dead beat dumb#% turned into a vegetable's hospital and nursing home bills.

I say it's your choice IF you have health insurance and a long term care policy...I don't want my tax dollars paying for some dead beat dumb#% turned into a vegetable's hospital and nursing home bills.

You can say that about anybody driving any vehicle! It is nothing specific to bike riders. :rolleyes:

Do you have seatbelts, ABS and air-bags in your rod? If not, why not?? I don't want my tax dollars paying for some dead beat dumb#% turned into a vegetable's hospital and nursing home bills....

I figured this would come up. Would you feel better if your tax dollars bought that dead beat a helmet instead? :rolleyes:

Personally I don't want my tax dollars paying for anyone's medical. (except military)

so if you are walking accross the street and you get plowed over by some teenager texting are you the dead beat dumb #%? If we really wanted to keep everyone safe we should keep everyone inside and just let them play vidio games. But I bet the government would find a way to tax us for every game we played.

so if you are walking accross the street and you get plowed over by some teenager texting are you the dead beat dumb #%? If we really wanted to keep everyone safe we should keep everyone inside and just let them play vidio games. But I bet the government would find a way to tax us for every game we played.

Won't work, corpal tunnel!!

It should be each persons decission, bottom line!!! I don't want to tell you how to live, DON"T TELL ME!!

I don't use one, and it's my decission!! I personally think the vision you lose, the discomfort, and sound you miss, takes away from you're ability to avoid accidents!!
I'm sure in certain types of wrecks a helmet could save you're life. I'm just as certain it could cause damage or take you're life!!
Make you're own choice, don't make mine!!

Latest posts

Back