Double pass radiators

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregster

Has anyone had any experience with this style radiator ? It is a two row radiator that has a division in it making the coolant flow through from one way then back again . They claim a 10-20 degree difference - the theory is sound . I'm on the border line now with water wetter and all . I have a 6-71 to go on in the spring and was hoping this would help . Any real life info would be great !
9173401_L.jpg

This type of rad works just as well as any other rad. All your doing is taking a long narrow rad and making it into a 'U' shape. As long as the surface area is large enough, it will remove the necessary heat. I used this design on the airplane I built and flew for quite a few years. Never a problem with heat. An aircraft engine is always under load, creating the maximum amount of heat. It's like driving your vehicle flat out for 5 min (take off ) and then only backing off 20 to 25 percent (cruise setting) from the max. Take a look at the picture, you can see both the inlet and outlet hoses at the same end. End of rad was just past the firewall, directly below the water pump. (Engine is turned around and prop/reduction drive is run off PTO or clutch end of engine. Engine is a 2000 cc Ford) The rad I used was a new one for a Chevette (copper/brass). While your drawing shows the core being split, it failed to show the inlet and outlet tank being split so it's two seperate areas or tanks. All that was done on mine was a thin brass plate was silfossed into the inlet/outlet end tank making the partition and moving one hose neck so they were both at the same end. Long story short, yep, it works as long as you get the air purged out, and enough air over/through the rad.

Attachments

• Untitled-6.jpg
    Untitled-6.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back