Dual leaf springs on front?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex1927

HI,I was at run to sun car show this weekend and there was a 31 chevy *sitting low* with dual leaf springs on front.I know they originally had them,but this was a streetrod with disc brakes etc.Has anyone here ever used dual springs on front axle?I know most springs have to much arch.The ones on the 31 chevy were almost flat.Wonder where I could get a set of those springs?thanks

I thought that might be what you meant. That is a more common set up than you think. Speedway, has the springs. But there are underslung springs, spring overs, spring unders, all set up in a parallel leaf configuration.

tub.jpg

Here's one of mine with parallel leaf springs in front.

I am gathering parts for a 46 Chevy truck project that will have dual or parallel leaves. Bob W have you z'ed the front of your frames to get them that low appearing, or are they a leaf with very little arc as rex1927 was asking about.I have been watching new posts and searching old one's for ideas, but it seems most frontends are cross spring,so it is hard to get any good ideas.

P3030079-1.jpg

Here's the frame under the International. Notice the 4" "Z" in the frame. Also, the axle is positioned on top of the springs. I narrow the axles to a 46" kingpin centerline just because I don't like 'em too wide in front. The springs are pretty flat when loaded with the weight of the finished car (truck).

Thanks for the frame shot.I had planned that 4" Z in the frame but wasn't sure if I would need to put the axle above the springs or not.How much axle to bottom of frame clearance do you have?Is that a concern?Looks like you used the front portion of the origional frame, then used rectangular tube for the rest of the frame? Looks real good.

I leave about 2 1/2" of room between the axle and the frame, You can see the notch in the frame for clearance. On the frame pictures the front part is from an early 30's Dodge, I think. I got the springs with it & they are about 34" long. I had them rebuilt to give the same amount of arch to each spring. Generally, 4 leaves per spring is good for my fenderless cars. I have taken two springs and put them on the floor and parked the front wheels from a hot rod of similiar weight. Spring compression is about 1 5/8"-2". So that is the figure I build around.

Last edited:
M-1.jpg

Here's the frame under my '38 Dodge truck. I used Model frame members from the Z forward and made the front spring mounts. '48 Chev. truck springs were used. Note the notches for axle and tie rod clearance.

Thanks again for the explanation and shot of the second frame.I hadn't really thought about a frame notch for the front axle.I will be filing these pictures away till I get a chance to get started on my project. I live in Manitoba, which has a fender law, so am also looking for cool ideas for front fenders that won't hide to much of the front end.It is going to be a 46 Chevy cab,with a 34-35 Chevy grill .Am thinking of maybe wheel mounted motorcycle style or late 20's, early 30's style, if they will blend the grill and cab together properly. Jim.

HMM well... I was really looking to swapping over to something other than tha stock duals. But after seen this thread....I am gonna see what we can salvage and make work on my 29 Chevy. It is all there for the most part.

I sure would like to see more pics and hear more about the spring set ups

Last edited:
That is so cool! It does away with all those radius rods and cross spring( I am not putting down radius rods and front cross spring,its just cool to find another way).I am going to try duals if I can find suitable springs.Thanks guys

I actually really like it and am lookin forward to using this. Yes it does to away with all the cross stuff... but then again..... I really like how some setups sit real far out front. With these duals... you will always hve those pearches sitting out front

Latest posts

Back