Dudes... I never knew car mag writers smoked crack at work!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Dudes... I went to the store tonite to get my car book fix and I couldn't believe my eyes!!! These cats are smokin' some really strong stuff at work these daze!!! Forget the 60's!?!?

BoB

Attachments

• what.jpg
    what.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 116
Imp true new cas have a better potential for performance but from experience they are a pita to do Anything to. The muscle cars from the 60s and 70s set the bar of what's cool, what's fast, what a muscle car is. When a new car can mimic the styling of the 60s and its still.cool you can't.forget it. Its simply timeless.
This is.coming from me who.is a 22 year old.

I grew up during the "Muscle Car " era,and I own 4 muscle cars (68 Mustang Fastback, 70 AMX, 71 Challenger, 72 Chevelle). Yes, 60's and 70's muscle is iconic. They are fast, loud, colorful and cool! But they are a chore to drive, a lot of them did not have power steering, or power brakes, very stiff clutches, and didn't handle very well.

Modern "Muscle", are a pleasure to drive, lots of power, responsive steering, comfortable interiors, decent mileage. No they are not yesterdays Muscle Cars and I'm glad they aren't. I'm glad they have evolved into what they are today.

Would I give up my cars for new one Never! But I sure would love to own a few of the new ones.

Is today the Golden Age of Mucsle Cars, no, but it is a New Age of Muscle Cars.

The writers are probably half your age. They don't know any better.

Amen!

Today's muscle cars are more like 60/70's Euro sports cars in terms of power/handling.int. comforts.

Besides how can you have a "Golden Age of Muscle" cars with gas @ $4.00 a gal :mad:

With the advent of the resto-mod movement the playing field has changed for classics. My Chevelle has a totally updated suspension (Global West), power steering, Hydroboost braking system, modern bullet & A/C. It drives & handles like a dream & no modern "Hot Rod" has ever dusted me including the 4 Shelby 500 Cobra's that thought they owned the road! I dusted one 500 3 separate times at 3 different lights just to prove it was no fluke. He finally turned off to go home & cry to mommy. Gimme an 60's rod any day! But of course... I can *never* leave *anything* stock!!!

BoB

Hi gas prices were the death of the original Muscle Cars. But this time around, not so much. I too have a garage full of muscle. We will never have another Golden Age of Muscle Cars, but I also like the direction the big three have taken trying to keep it going.

Theres pros and cons of both and people will always be on opposite sides of the fence. Id love to have a new Mustang or Challenger. Until the warranty runs out.:rolleyes:

I would love to see them try to smoke my buddy's '64 GTO or my other buddy's '65 Cyclone. Not happening! :eek:

Toad

I wasn't talking about what you could build a 60s muscle car into. I'll bet all the cars I have owned that you couldn't beat showroom new stock muscle car with a showroom stock anything from the 60s. The best stock 64 GTO ever was a 14 second car, maybe high 13s. I read every magazine that ever came out back then and even with slicks, the best any stock showroom car would do was high 12s. Even the best tuned factory ringer cars like T bolts barely got into the 11s. And straight lining was what most of them did best, handling was mostly atrocious. I also owned several good muscle cars and loved most of them, all my buddys had them. I was young and immersed in the hotrod scene, lived and breathed it. I remember 69 Roadrunners that were completely clapped out with 35,000 miles. I remember Z28s being in the dealership for their 3rd or 4th engine before the 12,000 mile warranty was up. I remember single digit fuel mileage, poor handling, broken parts.
Will I ever own a new car, probably not but I was there in the 60s and 70s, owned those cars. I do remember and that technology can't touch what they are building now, period. I will agree the older stuff has more of a cool factor and that new cars are overly complicated. You might dust an average cobra with a scmuck driver from stop light to stop light. But let's compare apples to apples, what if it was an owner with the same passion and familiarity that you have with your 60s car? What if he knows how to tune it and get all it's capable of, what if he has a Rousch supercharger and a few other choice bits and some experience with wringing it out? Might be a whole different deal then, maybe not. But what if it you both started with 20 gallons of fuel, did the drag race, then to top end and through a road course until you both ran out of gas, wonder who would win that?
I guess the old cars can be the golden age to us old guys, I remember it fondly and would love to have back a couple I have owned. Ironically I also remember old hotrodders then were saying the same thing about those muscle cars and lamenting how they were nothing compared to the hotrods of the 50s and they were too complicated to work on and rebuild. I remember that the majority were sold new to punk rich kids that couldn't change a spark plug. Sorry I got off on a rant, I remember the demise of the muscle cars and a couple decades that you couldn't buy anything that had any serious performance. I am just really glad to see the muscle cars back.

Comparing a brand new car to a 50 year old car is a little unfair. Maybe a show room new copycat 'muscle' car could beat a show room stock 60's car. It was much easier to throw in a cam, add headers etc. to an old muscle car and tear up some asphalt. Love to see the average guy do a cam change on a new Camero or Challenger. Another buddy had a 454 Cowl induction Chevelle that could whip any of these new cars any day of the week and twice on Sunday! :eek:

Toad

And you can bet that...

In 40 years these cars will be as outdated as any 60's muscle car is now..... with the technology they have today, it will be ion's above what they have now...... I'm sure I'll probably be with the man upstairs driving my 64 Goat, or my 701/2 TA ram air IV.....or my...If I'm lucky... maybe he'll let me drive them all again.....well it's heaven ain't it??? [cl

You make some excellent points WB. I came from that era myself and while nothing gives me the feeling of cool when hearing an old Pontiac or a Mopar winding up, most new" muscle" cars of today would whip just about any old stock muscle. I had various GTO's and like you said high 13's was about as good as it got and then you had to contend with ill tempered carbs and 9-12 mpg's! As far as a stock SS Chevelle whipping a modern cobra....not gonna happen.unfortunately....cr

You're comparing bare knuckle boxers to modern day boxers. The old were tough brutal animals, but the current nimble boxers would take them out. They were called muscle cars because there was no finesse about them. They were built to go straight line fast by brute force - Muscle.

Personally I want one of those new Cadillac station wagons. ;)

With the advent of the resto-mod movement the playing field has changed for classics. My Chevelle has a totally updated suspension (Global West), power steering, Hydroboost braking system, modern bullet & A/C. It drives & handles like a dream & no modern "Hot Rod" has ever dusted me including the 4 Shelby 500 Cobra's that thought they owned the road! I dusted one 500 3 separate times at 3 different lights just to prove it was no fluke. He finally turned off to go home & cry to mommy. Gimme an 60's rod any day! But of course... I can *never* leave *anything* stock!!!

BoB

in all honesty your chevelle is more modern muscle than old school....that to me is the perfect mix-old school looks & coolness with the modern engine/trans and suspension..

and as far as i can tell, when it comes to this conversation, it is a matter of opinion that will never be settled b/c it is a matter of opinion, but i get so tired of these comments of someones old muscle car that cannot be beat--if its stock, it already has been! now as far as cool goes i'd rather have a calypso coral 70 boss 302 than a 2011 "boss" but not b/c of speed...b/c of the sheer awesome-ness of the old school cool...

no argument from me they are all ok in my book, but i like anything on 4 wheels and some on 2!:cool::cool:

We look back at the cars we had in the late 60s early 70s and yes they were fast. Here is a question for you all. Lets say that a 69 hemi cuda convertible could have been bought new for $4000 and today it is worth $2,000,000. I think I actually saw that on Barrett Jackson last year. Now those numbers maybe off some.

Now here is the question....... What car would you go buy today and put it up for 40 years and hope to make that much profit from your investment?

Have you seen the new Ford Mustang Super Cobra Jet? Off the showrrom floor, it runs 10's but at $90K +, I'll keep dreaming.

Gasser,
Those are pretty sweet but I don't think they come with a title, can not be registered and are not street legal. Plus at $90K I doubt many people will ever even see one!

Greaser

Latest posts

Back