Dvap Rat Rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dvapteam

Here she is, our first ever rat-rod. We have a long way to go and lot to learn. For years I have been pulling cars apart for people but never getting a chance to put something back to life. What we got is a 39 Chevy or at least thats what MVD titled it as. Our rules from our owner are simple, we can anything with in our yard (motor,front ends anything is free game) but we can't spend a dime on anything but materials ( yet I find my self saving every grinding disk I can). Now keep in mind I can use a torch but until now never even looked at a welder.
Frame and cab are the original 39 chevy p/u
rea assy 1979 Ford Granada (we used a 3 link set-up we found on chevy p/u in our yard)
front suspension we used an 80's Ferro rack and pinion ( we choose this due to the availability FREE ) not sold on the looks but it will due for out first project.

We are now getting ready to make our motor brackets and set it which are using just 350 w/turbo 350 trans (for now) after that we will start on the cab which I think we will need a lot of help there hint hint ; )

Attachments

• DSC04542.JPG
    DSC04542.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_1105_2.jpg
    DSC_1105_2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_1114_2.jpg
    DSC_1114_2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 338
:DVery nice start,Welcome to rrr good to see another arizona resident here ...alot have been joining lately

your yard has tons of cool stuff to choose from you wont have a problem making a cool ratrod

rrr is a cool place to be...post alot of pictures of the build:D

The rules sound very reasonable to me.

Project looks to be off to a good start.Keep us posted on your build and as far as help goes, just ask. The only dumb question was the one you didn't ask.

Welcome to RRR.

I love that clean Arizona cab. Jealousy is what it is! You are coming along nicely. You will get a lot of support on this site.

thanks guys. I do have a question. Is there better books or guides to go to on doing the chops on the roof? I have googled the topic but it seems everything I'm finding doesn't lead to good sources.
Also I posted a thread to see if any one needed any help in the "parts for sale section"
Also I took out 10" out of the rear of the frame and 10" behind the cab but now I kinda what it to get lower so "z" frame is what every is telling me but were I would make the cut is write at the back of the cab so should re-attach what I removed? Or is it to late to do anything?

Tex Smiths' "Chopping Tops" is the main read for chopping tops. I guess I don't understand the frame question well enough to answer. Did you cut the frame straight when you shortened it up? usually the Z is right behind the cab, and what is the rear suspension?

CHOP!! Did someone say chop ?
Yes there are sveral books out there but i think that the ''tex smiths how to chop tops ''is probably the most informative book to have in your collection.
I think there are about 4 on the market right now ,www. motorbooks.com has some of the others in stock .

We are going for the short look and we liked the way some of the trucks out there have the short beds so we were informed we need to cut out equal amounts from in front and behind the axle. At the time is sound write. So of course being the newbee I am I cut 10" in front and 10" out from the rear. Looks cool but then I wanted it to be even lower so I read that you z the frame behind the cab..... My problem is were I would cut the frame to z is write at my lower rear control arm mount. My first thought would be to cut straight (behind the cab)down then extend the frame area behind the cab so the other half would have enough to lay on top of.
Thanks for any help....
~B~

what are you using for frame? original, or rectangular tubing? With tubing, say 4 inch, cut 4 plus inches behind the cab, add tubing straight up, then butt it to the bottom of your old frame, rear section. Are you palnning to z the front too?

I talked with a few other peps and they said the same thing about the rear so this is what we shall do thursday. As far as the front goes Im not sure? A friend of mine said to (for now) remove the coil spring so that its sits level, once the rear part of the frame is cut and lower it will sit better. After that we should get a better idea what she will look like over all. The frame is the original 39 chevy pu 100% rust free.
Another question:
On the bed do channel the bed to sit even with the bottom of the cab? I had seen Billy Gibbons Ford and it looked sweat how everything sat evenly. But then some guys have the bed really high..... Thats looks a little off to me.

more pics

Today we got the front end to sit a little lower (even lower will be better) and we cut the rear frame to moc it up and to get a better idea of what she may some day turn into. We found some cool headlights to cover up the clunky a-arms....looks pretty good. This week we will be mocking up our motor and making brackets {using GM 350}. Any one have any ideas for motor brackets for us?

Attachments

• P1000304.JPG
    P1000304.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 116
  • P1000306.JPG
    P1000306.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 80
  • P1000305.JPG
    P1000305.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 60
  • P1000307.JPG
    P1000307.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 106
  • P1000309.JPG
    P1000309.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 85
I'm calling foul!! This dude has two vintage junkyards at his finger tips......it's just not fair.

I wish I lived closer!

Keep up the good work.

Ratty 46

Foul? I say theres got to be something against the law about that! I mean, its a matter of principle (yea, that sounds good)! You just have too much, and its time to share the wealth. Oooo, Oooo... pick me, pick me!

help us all

Hey guys, Im trying to help all I can.....it is to bad some of you dont live out here. While Im new to the rat-rod community, I cant get enough. I was thinking about maybe posting a few cars/trucks up and having rat rods rules guys help pick out our next project and help us threw it while we make a video doc. and hopefully get it to were people can down load it for free!
Need to finish this one first.

Latest posts

Back