E-Rattus E-Roddus

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like white walls but I think it looks better with the all black. Just my two cents. Either way that's an awesome ride you got.

-Chris

Windshield frame

Well I am ready to start on the windshield. I have been using Lexan and screwed to the lip. It works, but looks like crap. I am thinking of building a frame or cutting down a gasket From the factory was a gasket. But I think a frame would be cool. Any of you built a frame or even have a suggestion? Thanks.

IMG_3006_zps723ec3c7.jpg

I would rather not. I like the idea of being able to take the glass out for some reason. Most of the body work isn't done and I drive it incomplete.

I did not have any trouble finding a windshield frame for my Chevy . Having a frame that allows you to tilt it open sure makes summer time driving a lot more comfortable . I also have my cowl vent open all summer , between the two I get plenty of air movement . Even parked it looks cooler with the windshield open .
What shocks did you go with ? I put a pair of Billsteins on mine and it rides as good as my 47 does with Air Bags . Best single investment I ever made -car wise - that is .

I did not have any trouble finding a windshield frame for my Chevy . Having a frame that allows you to tilt it open sure makes summer time driving a lot more comfortable . I also have my cowl vent open all summer , between the two I get plenty of air movement . Even parked it looks cooler with the windshield open .
What shocks did you go with ? I put a pair of Billsteins on mine and it rides as good as my 47 does with Air Bags . Best single investment I ever made -car wise - that is .
Well I went with some AutoZone specials. I told him to give me the crappiest ones he has and they turned out pretty good.
As far as the windshield frame, I would like to build something that tilts. The 46 Ford never came with one from factory. What a shame.

Safari Windshield

Google "safari windshield."

For your idea bank.

Illustrations are for bugs and Vw vans, but something similar could be built.

Am I missing something here ? Why would you want crappy shocks ? Good shocks are the key to a good ride , hence the name " shock absorber " .
The difference is I spent about $15.00 a shock. At my budget I can't afford Bilsteins. Plus, I am happy with the ride. Maybe one day.

Well I figured I would get started on the windshield and back glass frames. I did the back glass first and I must say that was a lot more fabbing than I thought. Is there an easier way??? The main objective was to have a smooth frame with no screws showing.
Here is the back:This is 1/8" flat
IMG_3313_zps1426672b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Then I cut a 1" strip to work on the inside that I made tabs to hold the "insert."
I made one from expanded metal, for the summer, and one out of Lexan, for the winter.

Here is the end result:
IMG_3457_zpsb05a4342.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So I got started on the windshield frame:
IMG_3459_zps2b650d0b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Needs some work!
IMG_3461_zps19d5e247.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back