early 80s corvette cross ram intake

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a couple of them converted...from what I understand, they don't flow very well when converted to carbs, because of the floor design, and are a real b***h to tune...

...and, since they are a staggered design, they wouldn't resemble a Man-A-Fre, they'd resemble the Offenhauser or Weiand-style 4-carb intake...the Man-A-Fre's weren't staggered, the carbs were placed at each corner in a "square" shape :

First pic...Man-A-Fre
Second pic...Weiand

Attachments

• man-a-fre.jpg
    man-a-fre.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Weiand4x2.jpg
    Weiand4x2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 19
Thanks Dragfink i guess theres no substitute for the real thing

Right!...except Man-A-Fre setup's are kinda pricey, and are also hard to tune for normal street driving...they don't really have any sort of plenum chamber, only a small "balance tube", that runs from side-to-side, from one carb mount to the other...

You'd be better off with one of the Offenhauser or Weiand intakes...

i got one that i am looking for 4- 1 barrles to put on it mainly for looks on a stock sbc, think it would look kool for that setup. the ports are small so if you want hp that is not the one to use.

Im with you on the looking kool part roadster.Dragfink is right on the other choices.I just have more time than money and some odd parts to try and create something from the junk pile.If you make something with your intake roadster id like to see it if you could post it Thanks for the input fellas

One thing nice about the one DragFink pictured is that you can make about whatever kinda top you want for it.....we used to fab up all kinds of crazy mess....like the Hilborne injectors, 4X2's, 6x1's, the sky is the limit....:D[P

i have already made a 1/4" al. plate to fit the top, got some pics somewhere i'll try to find. like metal said you can mount just about anything on top, but when you start setting carbs on there you will see how small they are, that is why i want 4 1barrles to set above the ports, gonna do a lot of cutting and cleaning inside before it goes on a motor.

sounds very interesting cant wait to check it out it may keep me from wanting to butcher the one i have

i haven't got any carbs yet so it has not been cut for carbs, and i don't have the bolt hole in the pic either, but atleast i have that done.

Attachments

• image0001.jpg
    image0001.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 18
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 16
I think 4-1bbls might be a good set up for it...they'll all fit confortably, and you should be able to tune it fairly well...it will probably require a "tent" to be installed on the floor of the intake to help disperse the air-fuel mixture, so it doesn't puddle on the floor...plus, it should look cool!

Yea, what DragFink said! Also, you might want to weld a couple of stiffeners on that alum plate, or just machine them into the cover on the bottom side. When you get a good healthy motor running, 4 carbs loaded with gas sitting on top of a plate the sealed at the edges with just a few screws....thats a recipe for a good, ole fashioned vacuum leak! [P[ddd[cl
With a racing cam with all those carbs....there's gonna be a whole lotta shakin' goin' on! Wait! I think I hear some Beach Boys in the background coming over the radio!!!! Then, the Elvis....

would the Carter YF 735s be a choice as to a Rochester Monojet 1bv as far as avability or maybe another type carb ?????

Yea, the rochester 1 bbl's are pretty good, theres still a bagillion of the out there! Let me give you a word of advice. Anytime you come across carbs, grab them Anyone rodding needs (4)-1bbls, (3)-2bbls, and (2) 4bbls....and at least 1 or 2 of each kind for parts.
The supply is dwindling fast as the bone yards go to newer stuff and scrap all the good, old stuff :eek:! Over my racing career, I made sure I had plenty of spares...,everyone needs to do the same....[P[;)
Grab em' before they're all gone!

Latest posts

Back