Electric fan ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick41Willys

Any suggestions on what size and CFM fan to run. Got a 302 with a 66 mustang radiator(new). I'm wondering if not running a hood well make a difference in the CFM I need to run. First hood less project. Got a friend with a 16" 2070 CFM. Will that be enough. The one in my Mustang is bigger (2500 CFM) I think. Would like to run the 16", cheaper!!!

I'd go with the 16 like you want, but the only time you will need it is in traffic, or running some AC. Stick a temp switch in to turn on at a certain temp. I'd also run a manual switch. Make sure you use plenty of relays when wiring up stuff that will draw a bunch of juice. Hoodless=topless?[dr

A stock 302 should not be too hard to keep cool. I am running a very small, sorry do not know the diameter, electric on the same engine with a very small radiator in a bucket t. I run a 180* thermostat and the fan is wired to run with the switch on, it came that way, and I have no problems in Alabama heat. You can find a good fan, cheap on the 3.8 liter Taurus station wagons. Measure to make sure it will fit, but it moves more than the aftermarket cheapos. Run a relay, probably a 30 amp to be safe.

Buy a SPAL brand. They are the very best IMO. I also hear some people run fans from Mark 8 Lincolns or something similar, with good results. Use a relay with whatever fan you run, it will make it run a whole lot faster.

Don

Install the biggest one you can get to fit and don't forget the shroud....very important!.....CR

+1

I have been to a couple of shows that had traffic jams going in and getting out. There are always a couple of cars that overheat and get pushed to the side of the road. Don't be one of those guys.

Don't scrimp on the cooling fan, can't go wrong with an oversize fan, under sized, yes.

My motor is a 355 SBC 400 hp.
I'm running a Flex-a-lite 2800 cfm Puller with built in Adjustable Thermostat 140 - 280 degrees ( black knob on top ) & built in AC relay, draws 13.9 amps, 15" fan, mounting surface 18" x 16" x 4 1/4", part #165.

Reservoirs1.jpg

You need hardly any cooling at idle. If a motor overheats sitting in traffic it means here is something intrinsically wrong with the cooling system.

I think that's wrong. Don't you need cooling help at an idle. but none when you are cruising because you have more airflow coming through the radiator?[S At least that how it's been with all the cars I've owned...CR

I'm running this on a turbocharged Mustang. It's an awesome fan. Don't know the CFM but it's a ton. Grabbed it at Pick-n-Pull on half price day. It's a 2-spd fan off a '90 Thunderbird SuperCoupe with a supercharged V6. There's 4 of 'em at the local yard as we speak. Cost all of $12.50. Measures 18"x18"x4".

FanRadICmounting.jpg

You need hardly any cooling at idle. If a motor overheats sitting in traffic it means here is something intrinsically wrong with the cooling system.

Where the h*** did you get that idea? [S That is exactly backwards. EVERY car needs a cooling fan for those times when you are not moving down the road. You get airflow when driving, but when you are stopped you have none, so that is where the fan takes over. Name one car that comes off the assembly line without a fan?

Don

Latest posts

Back