Elusive Chevrolet Coupes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullrack

I would like to see pics of the elusive little 1932 Chevrolet Mercury Coupes. I saw one about 20 years ago, when I was just a kiddo, and would love to see some pics. I can't find any info about them anywhere. I'm beginning to think I dreamed this one night. It seems like it looked like a smaller 1932 Ford Coupe. Any info would be helpfull. Steven

Is one of these the one???????

Attachments

• 1932_Chevrolet_De_Luxe_standard_coupe.jpg
    1932_Chevrolet_De_Luxe_standard_coupe.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 1932ChevroletPassside.jpg
    1932ChevroletPassside.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 64
Well, not real sure. Those look to be confederate BA coupes. Seems like I remember it being somewhat smaller than those regular coupes and more Ford looking. Funny thing is, I distinctly remember it being called a Chevrolet Mercury Coupe and I can't find anything about it. It was a friend of my Dad that had it and is now passed on. Weird part is that I can't seem to find one single mention of a Mercury Coupe in Chevrolets 1932 lineup. Could've been a 31 or even 33, but my memory tells me it was 32 Chevrolet Mercury Coupe. Somebody please help keep me out of the mental ward. I guess I dreamed it. But I also seem to remember an article about one no more than 3 years ago in one of the magazines. I'll have to go back to the magazine stash to serach. Thanks cycledog.

Here a little info:

The 1933 Chevrolet Eagle and Mercury approach meant Chevys were built on two wheelbases (distance between front and rear axles) for the first time since 1922. Eagles measured 110 inches. The Mercury series rode a 107-inch span.
Skirted fenders helped impart a streamlined look. The Eagle line featured Silent Synchro-Mesh transmission for smooth gear changes. The Eagle also had something new called a Starterator, which combined the starter switch with the gas pedal. For the first time, bumpers were standard.

Ads boasted of "the only proved six-cylinder engine in the low-priced field." Enlarged to 206 cubic inches, the Eagle's six-cylinder engine developed 65 horsepower, just 10 fewer than Ford's V-8. A shorter-stroke, 181-cubic-inch version of the six went into the Mercury series and was rated at 60 horsepower. Chevy did take a serious look at V-8 power. GM engineer Alex Taub developed an experimental oversquare, overhead-valve V-8 engine, but Chevrolets were destined to stick with six cylinders for the next two decades.

Two-seat roadsters were no longer produced, and rumble-seated Sport Roadsters were fading in popularity. After all, fresh-air fiends could get a convertible cabriolet with roll-up windows. The new Town Sedan had a built-in trunk, not a common feature in 1933.

At the Century of Progress Exhibition in Chicago, visitors could watch Chevrolets being built.

The bustleback 1933 Chevrolet Eagle Town
Sedan had an integrated trunk.

1933 Chevrolet Eagle and Mercury Facts

Model
Weight range (lbs.)
Price range (new)
Number built

Eagle
2,675-2,880
$485-$565

Mercury
2,335-2,425
$445-$475

should look like this

Attachments

• chevmurc2dr.jpg
    chevmurc2dr.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 91
  • chevmurcsedan.jpg
    chevmurcsedan.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Thank you so much cycledog. That pic of the burgandy 3 window is the exact body style I remember him having. OK, my next question is, do these have substantially more wood in them than Fords? I think I actually found a body like this. At first, a buddy called that he found me a 32 Ford 3 window shell on his families farm. I looked at it and gonna take it no matter what it was. After looking at it I knew it wasn't a Ford coupe shell. I had centerred my Chevrolet research around 1932. Never dawned on me to research 1933.

Chevs have much more wood...the good news is its not that hard to replace the wood with square tubing. I personally like the 33 chev better than the 32 Ford. A sin, I know.

Last edited:
I agree cycledog and wickedkid, I do believe it looks better than the deuce coupe. I'll try to make it mine. I do know it was once a dirt track car and looks to be in about the same condition as yours wickedkid.

Yea we all need a time machine, go back and buy them all, someone start fabbing that up this weekend, let me know when its done will ya.:D

alabob1

I have one of the Mercurys in it original form... excuse the color. It's the real deal

Attachments

• 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back