Endless BS thread

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No expert here but I believe I'd drive it and see if it vibrates. It would kinda depend on exactly where that 50 thousands out is I think on causing unbalance. They plug weld weights right on the side of the tubes and they aren't inline anywhere. I've seen guys use large hose clamps to counter balance shafts too. That's pretty hit and miss unless you have some way to check the true. If you have a safe way to raise it and keep it there, you could crank it and put it in gear and see what it does. Putting it up on blocks with the shaft in place and turning it by hand will give you an idea visually if it's bad off.

I have a car lift and 2 jacks I can set it up that way ... He said it was on the end that was bad ... I will try it though. Just didnt know about how much 50 thousands was ,,,

I'm not a machinist but i've cut and welded quit a few shafts, no alignment or balance and never had a vibration i could notice. i would say they had to be at least .050 out [S take it out and run it and see what happens [S or do what smallfoot said put it in the air and spin it. [cl
good luck with it.

i am a machinist, and cut and weld my drive shafts all the time. believe it or not i don't use my lathe to do it, i use a table or the floor and a tape measure. measure several times as i tack it back together and weld it. i only had one that wasn't smooth so far and it was my first one. when i put the 305 in my s15 jimmy i thought it would be bad as i had to mushroom the end to put the yoke back in, so i thought it would be temporary but it has been in it for about 8 years now.

Well yall make me feel better about it any ways .. This man felt bad about it and didnt even charge me for doing it ,, Ive welded several myself , but the last one I done it vibrated about 40mph and up so I took it to him and he fixed it up for me .. with no problems ,, but this one he said it was out a little .. I put it under the truck today . got to work tomorrow , get me some extra $$ ,, so maybe its getting closer to the first fire-up on engine ..

I'm not a machinist but i've cut and welded quit a few shafts, no alignment or balance and never had a vibration i could notice. i would say they had to be at least .050 out [S take it out and run it and see what happens [S or do what smallfoot said put it in the air and spin it. [cl
good luck with it.

I've built a few myself, or more like shortened. Including the one in my rpu but I got it a little short and the yoke is only about half way into the tranny. I've had it over 100, didn't notice any vibration.

Had an interesting :rolleyes: day. My blood pressure has been creeping up so i bought a wrist bp monitor. When it hit 245 after taking an hour long walk ...for the first time in years....i figured i could drop dead any minute. Now i know how i will react when i think i am staring death in the face. :) My son took me to the emergency room and i got a correct reading. It's higher than it's ever been but they basically said i won't be heading for the last roundup today. The wrist monitor is in the trash. Regular excersize and much more water is my new years resolution now. :D

no (Blob) for me billy I'll stick to Cliff Richards (Devil Women) and songs in the 70s .. :D But I do like the Band Perry remake , with the Glen Campbell song ( Gentle on my Mind )

Latest posts

Back