engine costs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how much on the engine

• free- didnt touch it

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • $0-1500

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • $1501-3000

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • $3001-5000

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • $5001-8k

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • $8-10k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10k-15k

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • $15k+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think I had about $500.00 in machine work. And about another $1500.00 in parts. I try not to keep a good record of money spent, it only makes you depressed!![cl...CR

I usually buy a crate or running junk yard motor. I'm usually way too impatient to build one... I wanna drop it in & go go!!! :D:D:D

BoB

OK I voted free. Because I didn't spend any on it. My dad did. It was the engine he already had in the truck I gave him. He had my uncle rebuild it for him. Charged him 3k to do it. Upgraded a few things. I think he paid to much. Then he wrecked the truck. He's spent probably another grand on it since then rebuilding the top end for his hot trod. Which he ended up just giving to me.:rolleyes:

No way am I gonna spend more than three or four hundred on a engine. No need for tons of horsepower here. Old and loud and as long as it turns the rear tires up to about 70 -75 m.p.h. on the Interstate. If it blows - get another one and go again! :D

Thunder

I've had them in most of those ranges. Depends on what I'm building. Rat Rod, Restoration, or Race Car. Everything from free, budget rebuilds, crate engines, to $10,000 race engines

So far I think for my custom idea, I'm gonna be running bout 7k for the engine, then another 3-5k for engine management. Goal is to run 500-750 rear whp depending on boost lvl. Still in the planning phase, looking to make a custom body with a custom straight 8.
I wanna try to make a version of the bugatti type 57 sc atlantic using wood and steel to make up the body, and 2x4 tubing for the frame.

I called a friend of mine to see if he knew of any 283's I could buy for my '36 and he said no, but he had just bought a fresh 327 to resell from an estate. He let me have it for $450.00

my stick shift sccoa car is :

block pistons free came with car
1.6roller rockers______100
E303 cam___________175
gt40 intake __________60
30lb injctors and maf_250
hand ported E7head___15(for bits)

having a 4,000lb car thats fun,sounds good, and runs 14.50s
Priceless

there are some things money cant buy to bad speed isnt one of them

(after it gets a tune and headders it sould run low 13s)

The 327 in my 52 Ford cost all of $400 complete. I put on cheap chrome valve covers, and a cheap chrome air filter I got at the auto flea market. Now it all looks good and ratty. The 350 in my 39 Dodge cost me some bucks. It's mostly all good chrome and set me back a few thousand. That chrome highrise with the dual Edlebrock carbs wasn't cheap. Now another expense is staring at me...rims and tires.

I found the '79 Buick 350 crate motor (30 years old and never even fired!) for $450. Cost me another $100 for gas to go get it, and now I will start to rebuild it using the parts that are there, except for valve springs, gaskets, fuel pump, distributor, and accessories. I'll be under $1500. Now if I could only tool up and build the Jeep for that...
On the flip side, the 327 that came in the truck got sold off for more than I've spent on the new motor, so it's all good so far. ;)

For me--Car stuff is an obsession, and I've seen a lot of personal damage from guys overspending in this obsession. Even divorces, hungry kids, job problems, health problems (mostly racers), but hobby guys too.

I like to support frugal car building all I can--it helps keep the obsession less hurtful- under controll-maybe even gets it to be a healthy, positive thing.

I am most impressed with myself and other people when a lot is achieved for the least amount of money. Safe, fast, attractive, creative, fun, inexpensive.

PA41

I read a post somewhere that put it well: These rats dont need to go like race cars. Dependable, loud, quick, all OK. But they are fine not doing the quarter in 10 seconds. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back