Engine lifting

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgo70

I'm just thinking about putting my engine onto my frame today and I can't decide if using my engine lift plate is a good idea. I got one of these:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2923,122_Engine-Lift-Plates.html

I have the aluminum AFR heads with an aluminum Edelbrock Air-Gap intake on it and the carb mount studs are about 1/4". I don't really feel good about putting all that weight onto those little studs bolted into aluminum. I guess I could put eight little bolts in as it has both Edelbrock and Holley stud holes.

The alternative is two steel engine hoist loops that will bolt in using the intake bolts but then there is only two and they're into the aluminum heads.

What do you guys think is the best, I don't want to drop this thing:eek:.

Sean

I built my rig, but it is basically about a 30 inch chunk of really heavy duty tubing, with a strap turned on edge, welded on top. I drilled a series of holes in the strap, then welded a chain hook one end, on the other end I bolted a hook onto another strap with holes welded on the bottom. Then I use a stud off the front and a tranny bolt off the back to bolt chains for the hook to. Speedway sells a similar beam but the idea is it reaches out over the manifold and hooks to the front and back of the block.

I know a lot of people who have used those ones that bolt on the carb plate, and this subject came up on another forum one time. The people who use them say they are fine, but it scares me too much hanging a motor off of four 1/4 inch bolts into an aluminum or even steel intake. I have sworn for years I was going to spring for one of those engine leveling crank thingies, but never have. Instead, I just use this simple one I made. I have pulled some 800 pound engines with it and I just feel safer with it in place.

Don

Wow, sorry for the big picture, I thought it was minimized!!!!!!!

donsenginepulledbackout003.jpg

It just didn't feel right like you said so I went and bought one for $29 on sale, I figured it was a sign from a higher power telling me something:D.

Sean

Latest posts

Back