Engine Makeover - Tri-Power (with pics)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks very hotroddy Gastrick. I agree, my single four barrel is the first single carb setup I think I have ever run on a hot rod, and I keep eyeing it up. Edelbrock is supposed to come out with a tripower manifold for the Vortec, so I might swap it out later on. But the darned thing runs so good with the four barrel and gets 20 mpg that it is tempting to just leave it on.

As for Vintage Speed, I know what you mean. I have always picked up my stuff right at shows from them with zero problems, but have seen posts about the lack of service or response doing things by phone or email. I have been tempted to mention something to him or his wife at shows, but they are always so cordial I bite my tongue instead.

I like the aircleaners on your trips too. You have really made some nice changes to the coupe in recent months. I was sort of bummed that the tired fog I was in kept me from looking at it more closely that night. I wanted to climb all over it, but so much conversation and all was going on that I was about half there. I plan to check it out completely at Billetproof.

Don

Thanks Don, I don't know if you want to see it in the daylight or not. It's a lot nicer in the dark :)

I'm just trying to make a few upgrades before Billetproof. The tri-power and some Buick drums for up front, and maybe a couple of small details here and there.

So Bill, what's the latest on the tripower setup. Dan asked me about whether or not you had it up and running yet so I told him I would have to ask you.

Don

Very nice...

Gastrick, that is an awesome set up. Very cool air cleaners too.
Looking forward to hearing how it runs... '22

So Bill, what's the latest on the tripower setup. Dan asked me about whether or not you had it up and running yet so I told him I would have to ask you.

Don

Don, I've been working 14 to 18 hour days and will be till the end of the year. I've not been able to put much time in on the cars. I have it bolted down and I'm working on the throttle linkage and fuel and vacuum lines. I also have to relocate the alternator because of intereference with the oil fill tube and I'm cleaning up a few little other odds and ends on the engine too such as a distributor change and some wiring rerouting, so I won't be fully operational till after Christmas.

I think the Barry Grant Six Shooter bolts to Vortec heads. A friend of mine got one for his Track T. Its impressive looking and garnered a lot of attention at cruises. Unfortunately, it never ran right so it's now sitting on the shelf. Recently, while looking at a 55' Chevy with the Six Shooter, he suspects he may have run the vacuum lines to the wrong port.

Yep, those BG setups are really nice, but too rich for my blood. You brought up something else that is keeping me from changing right now.......the four barrel on my T runs so darned good that I don't want to mess anything up. It has all the power I need and accelerates smoothly with no dead spots or anything, but it just doesn't look like a hot rod to me without a bunch of carbs sittting up there.

Well, I have tripower on the Olds in my Dodge truck and should have that on the road fairly soon, so maybe that will satisfy my multicarb desires. :D:D

Darned Gastrick had to go and put trips on his, so now he has me liking them again.

Don

Latest posts

Back