enlighten me

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
What's the big attraction with burn outs? Reading the paper this morning, no fewer than 3-4 burnout "contests" yesterday during the Sturgis rally. Torture your engine until the tire pops, crowds love it. It don't say much for the average mentality IMHO. I could never do that to something I had my sweat and $$$ invested in.

i never done it till the tire popped but i have done lots of burn outs, and when in the right car/truck i still do.:D

i never done it till the tire popped but i have done lots of burn outs, and when in the right car/truck i still do.:D

Yep... the old Tripper's done his fair share of burnouts but not to the point of blowing my motor or tires! I lov me some asphalt graffiti!!! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

Did it with my jeep, on a set of donuts. Was kicked out of a car show for it. Entered the burnout competition on donuts. Did it till one popped off and other was shredded. They told me I had to shut it down and leave. Some people have no sense of humor.

I don't get it either. Can't see my money going up in smoke like that. Also, I see the guys who have to put water under their tires to get them to light up, why not just wait till December and do it on ice ! :confused:

Pointless IMO.

Don

If they're drunk enough to be stupid enough to smoke one down, I prefer they do. At least they won't be on the road on it when they leave the bar.

If you wanna see some smokey burn puts, get you some bleach and pour a little on up the tires. Holy moly man. Ok, I was 17 , and had a 69 SS with a hot 396 rat in it. We were kids. No more .........until I get the beast done. Hahaha

In cars/trucks big smokey burnouts are amazingly fun, but I would never do one on my motorcycle especially to the point of blowing the tire. All it does is tear the crap out of your fender, rim and basically your whole bike lol.

I come from Ohio , and the thing was , when you get new set of tires , you got the old ones put on your spare set of burn-out wheels ,, then you got home (if you lived on the outside of town) put your wore - out tires on , and blocked your car, up so the tires just touched the cement. then you let it rip ... you could see the smoke for miles , and smell it too .

If you wanna see some smokey burn puts, get you some bleach and pour a little on up the tires. Holy moly man. Ok, I was 17 , and had a 69 SS with a hot 396 rat in it. We were kids. No more .........until I get the beast done. Hahaha

+1

also @ 17, '64 SS with a 427

I don't get it either. Can't see my money going up in smoke like that. Also, I see the guys who have to put water under their tires to get them to light up, why not just wait till December and do it on ice ! :confused:

Pointless IMO.

Don

I spend most of my winters driving sideways.

I like to do rolling burnouts on the freeway. 50mph, pin my foot to the floor and let the bitch breath! White smoke mayhem! I love it!

What's the big attraction with burn outs? Reading the paper this morning, no fewer than 3-4 burnout "contests" yesterday during the Sturgis rally. Torture your engine until the tire pops, crowds love it. It don't say much for the average mentality IMHO. I could never do that to something I had my sweat and $$$ invested in.

Hey Willowbilly...

I am with you...I spend stupid money on a project....I will drive like it is priceless...nice and easy..Even when I was on the racetrack...I did a lot of tip toeing around stuff so as to bring it home in piece...I love to build them but I hate to keep working on them after I broke something on it......

MikeC

I'm not sure where I stand on this burnout thing.....they can be fun but when you are trying to set an example for your kids it's another story. Take my daughter for instance, when she came of age to get a driver's license and started wanting a car, instead of a new car she wanted and old Monte Carlo SS. So we bought her a nice '84 SS when she (and the car) were 14 years old.

It was her pride and joy and when she was seventeen she herself built a nice 350 to replace the stock 305. Even though the car ran like a scalded dog she was responsible with it and kept the fast stuff where it belonged......

Her husband's first car was also an '84 Monte SS and on their wedding day they each drove their self from the Church to the reception in their first car...

They've been married for almost nine years and still have their Monte's. Both cars need a little TLC but her engine she built 13 years ago still runs nice and strong and will light'em up a will. However with the proper upbringing she has received I have never caught her misbehaving with her car in any way, shape or.....................uh, never mind :eek:

Cool story and pics snake farm! I think we got away from the topic of smoking down a motorcycle tire but it is a little different to burn out in a car or truck. Usually you don't get so far into it that you melt the tires right off a rim. And most cars and trucks carry a spare if you do. A motorcycle can really self destruct when the tire fails, the rims can get really screwed up and other parts get damaged too. Smoking the tires on a rod is cool but usually not locked into a spot like they do the scooters. When mine gets on the road, I'll smoke em once in a while, but it will lead to leaving the immediate area...
The last time I saw a melt down, the young guy doing it was locked into a tire stop. He was drunk and just destroyed the tire and rim. The bar this went on at was a ways out of town. Scooter bar. Not many trucks or cars around and I wondered if the fool had thought about any of that before he did it. He had no ride then. Didn't look like he had any buds that could help him get anywhere. I wonder if the rest of his evening was as cool....

My Two Cents Worth

On the bike i'll do a little to show :rolleyes: but it does have to get me home. On the hot rod side i'm not big on tying them down to do it. I put what i call a burn out valve in, 1/4 turn valve to shut off the rear brakes. With a little practice you can get very creative with your road graffiti and you can control what your doing to be easy on you engine and drive train.
I have no excuse for age[S but i'm only 52 years past 17, back then i didn't have a car that world do a burn out :(

Ok i'll put the soap box away
Have a great day, i'm visiting the grand kids so i know i will [cl

Never was in to doing burnouts. Was lucky to have decent tires and couldnt afford to just sit and burn the tread off. Wen I dragraced, I did small ones just to clean the slicks off and my car always hooked good
Almost any car or truck can power brake and smoke up the road. More impressive to see a car grip and go. I don't get the drifting thing either, kind of like dragracing in the rain. :confused:
Tim

Latest posts

Back