exhaust noise

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondo bandedo

can someone help me or guide me in the right direction,i have a noise i cant explain.Ok i have a freshened up 305 with mild can in my latest project and it has a exhaust noise i cant explain.when the car is running i get a sound from the right hand exhaust that sounds like it is echoing into a tin can and only from that side i ran full headers at first and now zoomies and can hear both ways.it dose not miss or stutter and i ran a compression check and everything checked out.Ive been told its proablly nothing but i want more opinions on it i was told that two cylinders fire one after another on that side and can cause a different sound.Seems to run fine but this is the first time i heard this kind of sound from any of my cars can the cam cause this?Like i said it sounds as if you hold an empty tin can at the ehaust and the echo sound you would get.Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.:confused:[S

Without hearing it and going on what you say, it makes me wonder if a valve isn't sealing for some reason, too tight, burned etc. Put a vacuum gauge on the intake vacuum and see if you have a jump on the needle. If it is good and steady (if you have a relatively mild cam) forget what I said.
If you want to try and isolate the sound, use a length of rubber hose, fuel or vacuum line. Hold to your ear and move over the exhaust tubes or around the flanges.

good luck,

Without hearing it and going on what you say, it makes me wonder if a valve isn't sealing for some reason, too tight, burned etc. Put a vacuum gauge on the intake vacuum and see if you have a jump on the needle. If it is good and steady (if you have a relatively mild cam) forget what I said.
If you want to try and isolate the sound, use a length of rubber hose, fuel or vacuum line. Hold to your ear and move over the exhaust tubes or around the flanges.

good luck,

I'm with Railroad. Who lashed the valves? Maybe you should run 'em again. If you don't mind the mess do it with the covers off, engine running. Back off the rockers til the click then tighten em down slowly till it goes away, then 3/4 turn more. Just be carefull, that oil catches fire easy when hot. While you got the covers off look for brocken valve spring, bent pushrod, rocker arm interference.
Good luck!

I'm with Railroad. Who lashed the valves? Maybe you should run 'em again. If you don't mind the mess do it with the covers off, engine running. Back off the rockers til the click then tighten em down slowly till it goes away, then 3/4 turn more. Just be carefull, that oil catches fire easy when hot. While you got the covers off look for brocken valve spring, bent pushrod, rocker arm interference.
Good luck!

Yeah--thats the best way to be sure.. Get some of those clip on rocker arm oil shields at the parts store, or you'll squirt oil everywhere. Also-- I've cut the top out of an old valve cover and stuck it on while lashing valves to keep the side splash down as much as poss.

Always messy..

PA41

Latest posts

Back