Federal Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepyjake

Guys,

Just drove past and bought a 49 federal pickup, cab, front fenders, grill and half frame for 500 bucks. I've heard of federal trucks but thought they were dump trucks and military trucks. I want to chop and channel it but not sure if it's some kind of rare truck. Can't see any rust, but I really didn't get a chance to look at it since it is behind a fence. Called the # and offered 5 bills and he took it. Get some pics tonite and post tonite or tomorrow.
I might want to sell it since i'm only about half way done with my 46 ford PU, if there is anyone that is really interested in it because it is a Federal.

Thanx in advance,

Jake

Never heard of Federal trucks.

From the internet.....................

Federal began in 1911 in Detroit as the Bailey Motor Truck company but the name was changed later that year to Federal Motor Truck company. By the mid 20's Federal was one of America's major truck manufacturers producing over 100,000 trucks by 1939. In 1952 the company became the Federal Fawick Corporation and in 1955 was taken over by Napeo Industries and relocating to Minneapolis where production was limited to specialized heavy vehicles in ever diminishing numbers, and production ceased in 1959.

Here is an idea of what you could do with that truck. To me, it looks good.

1949%20model%2015,%20Tom%20Hutchins,%20far%20right%20side,%20March%202002.jpg

Thanx

Well went and paid for it, it's got some huge cadilac motor and is front wheel drive lol and the motor started rite up. Pretty much looks like the one in the above pic, from the cab forward except it's kinda orange color. Forgot the camera too. Get some pics up tomorow. Thanks for the input all!!

Jake

Sounds like it may have an Eldorado drivetrain in it. Now THAT would be different ! :cool: I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of that one.

Working all weekend, just gettin ready to leave now. Hopefully get some pics on the way home, been busy busy. They will be up soon, promise!!!

Jake

Fedreal trucks are like the old IHC corn binders.
They were used as over the road haulers way back.
You can use most all the IHC stuff on same size Federal trucks.
I have a 38 IHC D-30 1.5 ton flat bed. It has a nice cab and big fat fenders. The best part of the whole mess, is the way the front nose comes to a kool rounded point. It would be a shame to see it all chopped and such. These old trucks have a place on the road and they look best unmolested in full form.
My truck is getting a complete reworked 71 Chevy 3/4 ton chassis with 31" tires on 16" 6 lug rims. It will naturally sit 4" off the ground with a 16" skirt over the chassis. Can't wait to get it finished.:rolleyes:;)
You will really enjoy the truck once it is back on the road.
Some old classics are best kept in full motion.
Anyways, its just my honest opinion, especially since I am a large truck nut.:eek:

Well went and paid for it, it's got some huge cadilac motor and is front wheel drive lol and the motor started rite up. Pretty much looks like the one in the above pic, from the cab forward except it's kinda orange color. Forgot the camera too. Get some pics up tomorow. Thanks for the input all!!

Jake

That would be cool to put like a car trailer bed on it sence it's a FWD.
It would keep it nice & low.
The Engine is probably a Cadillac 500cid as that was the standard engine in the eldos with FWD.

I'd love to have a rig like that. I've been wanting to build one for years.

Latest posts

Back