Fiat, Second Time Around

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DragsterIntake004.jpg

Made some little cradle/stands to hold the front of the hood. Moved the Dzus fasteners to the new location.

Thanks fellas for the positive comments. Jammerspeed, I should have it at Back to the 50's next summer. Are you going?

Flipper, no good alternatives for headlight location. It isn't bad. I bought a pair of black headlights so they will "disappear" a bit when the body is painted. I can go to small motorcycle headlights if necessary, later.

FiatBrakeBrkt017.jpg

Previously the master cylinder was mounted between the upper frame tube and the valve cover. It was so close that I was pretty sure I couldn't get the valve cover off once the Crane rockers were installed.
So, the gas wrench came out and the old assembly was gone. An all new bracket and pedal assembly was built. Front brake lines are run and clipped to the frame. The rear brake line is almost done.

DragsterIntake004.jpg

Made some little cradle/stands to hold the front of the hood. Moved the Dzus fasteners to the new location.

Thanks fellas for the positive comments. Jammerspeed, I should have it at Back to the 50's next summer. Are you going?

hey bob! i will be at back to the 50's for sure im 42 now and have gone every year since i was about 10 or so... most of the time i use that weekend for a dead line to get my cars done by! :D i will keep a look out for you.. i will either have my gold '61 chev or my '49 studebaker pickup or both!

FiatDash001.jpg

When you build a tiny little car the firewall and the dashboard can be the same piece. It looks a bit austere with just the four junk gauges in it, but it will be better as more gets done. It is a good feeling to have the engine compartment blocked off from the people compartment. Wasn't easy as there were lots of contours to contend with.

All the tin work will be pop riveted in once the chassis and body are painted.

FiatBrakeBrkt017.jpg

Previously the master cylinder was mounted between the upper frame tube and the valve cover. It was so close that I was pretty sure I couldn't get the valve cover off once the Crane rockers were installed.
So, the gas wrench came out and the old assembly was gone. An all new bracket and pedal assembly was built. Front brake lines are run and clipped to the frame. The rear brake line is almost done.

That Fiat is gonna be so cool on the street..

Hey Bob, silly question, but I've never done this before..As long as the master cylinder is up high enough, can you just run lines to the front and back of the frame right off of the master..most of the detroit built stuff I've been around has some sort of little junction block lookin thing that I never knew the purpose of:D I'm putting my master up under the dash similiar to what Don and Dan did on his RPU..Don't want any unneeded plumbing under there..

thanks,
TIm

That Fiat is gonna be so cool on the street..

Hey Bob, silly question, but I've never done this before..As long as the master cylinder is up high enough, can you just run lines to the front and back of the frame right off of the master..most of the detroit built stuff I've been around has some sort of little junction block lookin thing that I never knew the purpose of:D I'm putting my master up under the dash similiar to what Don and Dan did on his RPU..Don't want any unneeded plumbing under there..

thanks,
TIm

That is a proportioning valve below most m/c's! Usually a very good idea to get you're bake bias at an optimum!!
Don't know why Don doesn't have one, sure he'll let us know!

FiatTach005.jpg

Got the Rev Monitor (Tach) and shifter mounted. Watching Craigslist for a good deal on a shift light.
I had made an aluminum rear bulkhead before I put the body on. Made it oversize. Today I kept cutting and cutting to get it to fit. Looks like it will be a multi-piece bulkhead by the time I finish with the surgery.

Last edited:
Kirkey002.jpg

Next on the "To Do" list is the aluminum bulkhead behind the seats. But first I felt I needed to strengthen the front mount of the middle link of the 3 link rear suspension. The tubular brace was added.

Moreseat007.jpg

The rear firewall, or bulkhead is coming along pretty well. I went over to my friends Terry & Lee's (see the Henry J thread posted tonight) house to use the sheet metal brake. They were entertaining 6 guys, all master metal crafters. These are guys that make anything from fenders to complete bodies from scratch. Here I was making a few simple bends, hoping I didn't screw it up in front of them.

FiatPackageTray004.jpg

Hard to see but the package tray area is done. Also put a taper on the front piece. It's a little bunged up at the top. Hoping I can hammer and dolly the whoop-de-do's out of it.

The bulkhead and the package tray are a nice close fit to the body. A bead of some kind of sealer, probably silicone, will finish the deal.

HRP, Thanks for the kind remarks. It is appreciated.

FiatTach005.jpg

Got the Rev Monitor (Tach) and shifter mounted. Watching Craigslist for a good deal on a shift light.
I had made an aluminum rear bulkhead before I put the body on. Made it oversize. Today I kept cutting and cutting to get it to fit. Looks like it will be a multi-piece bulkhead by the time I finish with the surgery.

Hey Bob here is a listing I found for a brand new shift light for $40

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/pts/2668256964.html

Latest posts

Back