Fiat, Second Time Around

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MAN THAT IS COOL LITTLE CAR in about 1980 is seen a simca that was set up to road race at the street rod nats. I think it would of fit in the back of my truck . Boy was it neat it was well thought out like your car ! we have an old 62 bug that as chopped and ran a 2180 cc motor but I think I will steal your chassis plans and give a nice healthy small block and narrowed 9 inch I have in the corner they say that immatation is the sincerist form of flatery . Gez I am fixing to flater your car soon as I get through with my 3 window coupe . I was wondering about using adjusters in the upper control arms .P.S keep posting more [P

MattyAsleepBrake011.jpg

I made some cute little pedals for gas and brakes.

Binder-Grinder, you've got the enthusiasm going and a VW body. Don't hold back!

MattyAsleepBrake015.jpg

This build is so different that a lot of normal ways of doing things don't work. I found mounting the throttle linkage to the bellhousing worked best. The rusty piece of flat stock will be replaced with a rod with spherical rod ends.

I used a Mopar master cylinder and made the mounting brackets and pedal assembly. All the frame tubes in this area are either curved or run at odd angles. It made the construction somewhat difficult. The piece of threaded rod, with the red tip will be supplanted by a 5/8" diameter tube held in place with cotter pins.
I needed a break from bodywork on my other project so I had the pleasure of cuttin' metal and makin' parts today.

Very nice fab work indeed!

I'm really close to having to make a floor for my truck and I really like how you made the trans tunnel. It's giving me a lot of ideas.

Thanks for sharing! :)

FIatSteering006.jpg

The MII rack I narrowed and had in my Anglia needed to be narrowed even more. Another 2" came out of it . Tator, a member here cut the rack and bored it for a dowel pin to hold alignment while I weld it. I stuck sleeves through the crossmember for the mounting bolts and made tie rods cuz I had cut the originals off a while back to use on my Grandson's Bobber truck. The tie rods need to be cut to length and welded to the stubs that remain on the rack (not shown).

FIatSteering007.jpg

Got the steeriing shafts and u-joints figured out. I doubt the wood dowels will be strong enough so I'll have to order some 3/4" ground shaft, one u-joint and a steady Heim to keep everything from flopping around.

FiatSteeringColumn002.jpg

Made a steering column today. It uses flanged bronze bushings in both ends. The shaft, u-joint, etc. should be here Wednesday. I worked on this in between sanding Bondo on my truck project. Just can't stay on the sanding for very long.

FiatSteeringDone002.jpg

A couple summers ago, at Back to the Fifties, a guy had a box full of suspension parts setting in front of his car. Free! I got the lower A arms and 2 u-joints that are now on the Fiat. The parts I ordered from Speedway Motors Sunday afternoon arrived today. Even though I was helping babysit our 4 month old grandson and watching 4 dogs, including our hyper-active puppy, I did manage to complete the steering from the rack to the steering wheel.

FiatSteeringDone003.jpg

Looks like the steering shaft needs to be shortened.:D Actually, the column will be shortened about 4" to accomodate a quick release assembly. And the shaft will be shortened a bunch. Next, I need to see if there is any room for a radiator up front. Getting kinda crowded up there.

FiatRadiator003.jpg

Got a radiator and installed it.
Dillon Radiator in Rochester, MN sells this radiator on eBay and also direct. It is all aluminum, no epoxy, 2 rows of 1" tubes. Looks pretty well made. Unfortunately Chinese. For $199.00. I got the '32 Ford Low-Boy which is just narrow & short enough to fit my application.

I got the rack & pinion welded and the tie rods made and attached. Not very evident in the pic because of the radaitor. Also made a battery hold down, but not worth showing.

Next, it's on to cutting doors into the body. I'm scared.[S

FiatRadiator005.jpg

A very simple lower radiator mount.

The bad part is there's just a little bit of fiberglass hood in front of the radiator. If I bump anything, like a parking lot curb, I could bust the radiator. Might have to make some nerf bar arrangement, even though I don't want to add the weight. I like saying the word, "nerf":)

Last edited:
Looking good Bob. In high school we used the word nerf all the time. Instead of beating on our cars, we would "nerf" on them.

Latest posts

Back