Fiat, Second Time Around

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FiatRoogFiberglass005.jpg

I cut two layers of fiberglass cloth and two layers of mat a bit oversize. A while ago I scored two gallons of epoxy resin and a crapload of fiberglass cloth for $25. A guy was going to 'glass the hull of his boat and changed his mind. This formula takes hours to set so I was able to work without being rushed. First is a layer of cloth, then two layers of mat and then a final layer of cloth. It layed down pretty good with only a few ripples.

After it hardens I'll cut it to size and bond it in the roof opening. It will sit down about 3/16" so I can Bondo the low spots and still have a character line around the roof insert.

Next, a rear window opening. I'll have to heat form a piece of Lexan for the rear window as there is some curve in both directions.

(The start of today's post is on the previous page.)

All summer, as I worked on other projects and went to shows, etc. I was thinking and worrying about how to do this part of the Fiat project. All that fretting and planning didn't help. Once I was faced with the task, an approach just sort of came to me.

Last edited:
All summer, as I worked on other projects and went to shows, etc. I was thinking and worrying about how to do this part of the Fiat project. All that fretting and planning didn't help. Once I was faced with the task, an approach just sort of came to me.

Isnt that how it always goes.........great work......I look forward to your posts on this project[cl

For me, research at shows is all about figuring out what not to do. If somebody has already done it and it doesn't look right, no need to go down that path. Research won't restrict the creative juices, but it should improve the odds of sucess.

FiatRearWindow003.jpg

The roof separated just fine from the buck as the wax paper "mold release" worked well. I was able to trim the panel with a large tin snips and sanded to fit. I roughed up the surrounding area of the body and glassed the roof panel into place. It was surprising how flexible the roof panel was just laying there. However, the crown of the panel made it rigid enough once 'glassed to the body.

There are some ripples in the panel so it will require some filling and sanding to get it smooth.

The pic is of one rear window option.

FiatRearWindow007.jpg

Here's the other rear window choice. It is closer to an original Fiat shape. Any opinions on which one best fits the style of the body?

FiatRearWindowFinal004.jpg

Started smearing some mud (I ain't saying how much:eek:) over the fiberglass roof insert. It is taking shape nicely. Back a few months ago I mentioned, in the Plymouth truck build thread, how much I hate bodywork. Still do!
Based on input from members I took the larger of the two rear window templates and changed the radius on the upper corners to more closely resemble the smaller window template. The result is pictured. Really liked the suggestions to try two windows like old VW's or a complete oval. Both would look good. But I wanted to stay somewhat like an original Fiat window shape.

I have to take a few days off to strip and paint a dresser for my sainted 93 year old mom[cl who is in a nursing home. My sisters are redecorating her space and the dresser is my contribution.

Great work on the roof, it looks like it was there all along! Well, a little more or less bondo, it's all plastic and won't fall off the 'glas like metal, besides it'll make the roof stiffer :). How will you frame in the rear window?

FiatrearwindowDoorframe010.jpg

The roof is smoothed and ready for primer. You old school bodymen will recognize the red Nitro-san spot putty. The rear window opening has been cut and I like the shape. I don't yet know how I'll mount the rear window.

FiatrearwindowDoorframe013.jpg

The door opening lips were made from glass cloth and mat. They'll need a little reinforcing on the inside and some trimming and smoothing on the outside.

FiatrearwindowDoorframe014.jpg

I don't know where all this door gap came from. Tried to rationalize that it is good enough. But it ain't. One of my main objectives in this project was to have lots of labor but not much money required. The "lots of labor' part is certainly true.

it looks great !

It LOOKS GREAT !
IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT IN THE END....!
ONE OF A KIND
BAD ASS RIDE !
KEEP ON KEEP N ON !
[P[cl

Latest posts

Back