finally getting started , first build. Father son project.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valleyveiw

Finally getting started on our 49 dodge truck. This is my first build so let's see how this goes. Today we pulled the old flathead 6 cyl. Gona replace it with a 396 out of a 65 chevelle. We also pulled the cab . Hope to get started on the frame first.

Attachments

• IMAG0274.jpg
    IMAG0274.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0275.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0270.jpg
    IMAG0270.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMAG0271.jpg
    IMAG0271.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0272.jpg
    IMAG0272.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 69
all right!

a father/son build on a pilot house dodge truck, wow:D

check out the one we finished last year, it may help in the build.

are you gonna use the stock frame?

suspension?

l had to modify the firewall to accommodate the distributor and C-notch the rear frame to get the rear-end to sit correct.

l will be watching this one[P

please keep the up dates coming.

Later :cool:

frame and front end

a father/son build on a pilot house dodge truck, wow:D

check out the one we finished last year, it may help in the build.

are you gonna use the stock frame?

suspension?

l had to modify the firewall to accommodate the distributor and C-notch the rear frame to get the rear-end to sit correct.

l will be watching this one[P

please keep the up dates coming.
p
from what I have read , this truck is not an easy first time project...lol.Hope to use the stock frame, I have a guy coming to help with the frame and suicide front end. Want to get help from someone that has built one before. Wouldn't want it coming apart goin down the road, especially with my son in the car.

went shopping today!

No progress on the truck, but I did gather up some stuff! Went to my moms house and went through some of my dads buildings and I found, a 67". 396 with mickey Thompson valve pan covers, a 12 bolt rearend out of a 69 olds. A holly 4 barrel and a spare 396 block for the mock up on the frame. Can't wait to get started.[dr

Attachments

• IMAG0333.jpg
    IMAG0333.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0330.jpg
    IMAG0330.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0332.jpg
    IMAG0332.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG0329.jpg
    IMAG0329.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 43
progress

nice valve covers[dr

what is the plan for the rear end? are you using the 4-link off or putting on leaf spring pads and keeping the leafs?

Thanks Skull! I really like the valve covers, the first thing my brother said was "you have to get new valve covers" I said no way. Lol. And for the rearend I think I am going to stick with the leaf springs.

No progress on the truck, but I did gather up some stuff! Went to my moms house and went through some of my dads buildings and I found, a 67". 396 with mickey Thompson valve pan covers, a 12 bolt rearend out of a 69 olds. A holly 4 barrel and a spare 396 block for the mock up on the frame. Can't wait to get started.[dr

You have some pretty neat stuff laying around at your moms house!

angle

when you weld on the perches, make sure of the driveline angle.

2-3 percent down on the pinion. that way when the motor torques the rear-end up it has the right angle on the U-joint.

how much are you planning on chopping the top?

Thanks skunk, my son is 12 , and he can't wait to get this thing rolling so I can take him to baseball practice in it. Lol.
Mcgeyver, my dad passed away almost 3 years ago. And he was a hoarder, he saved everything, he was a machinest by trade and always dreamed of starting his own engine shop when he retired, he collected Chevy engines for 45 years, he could look at the casting numbers and tell you what it was, what year it was and what it came out of. I wish I would have spent more time with him. Anyway my brother and I inherited a few hundred Chevy engines and more stuff than you could imagine. So its always fun goin over to my moms cause I never know what ill find. We ate already making plans for our next build, but we have a ways to go yet.lol.
Skull, thanks for the info.ill take all you can give. Like I said before, I don't have much experiance doing this but I grew up with it. Just wish I paid more atn. To my dad, he was building ratrods in the 50's when I was about 4. I can remember his 57 gmc , he made fenders out of an old washing machine tub. Lol.

Latest posts

Back