First build, looking for insight

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnaplay

Banned
I am picking up my first project rod since my chevelle was destroyed courtesy of a drunk driver almost 10 years ago. From the pictures it looks to be sitting very high. I dont want it scraping the ground, but what is the proper method for getting this thing lower? From what I have been told it needs the brake lines hooked up, a radiator, tranny, engine then on to cosmetics. From the pics, how much would you guys say its worth in its current state? thanks

Inspiration pic
0710_rodp_02_z1927_ford_roadsterside_view.jpg

Actual car

jkjkk.jpg

mnm.jpg

mm.jpg

3kc3mc3l35V05P45X4a8k693e7bcb3ba21c62.jpg

mjpg.jpg

Welcome to RRR!

Don't expect to get an answer to what it's worth.

So you already have it or your buying it? What's he asking?

Notice the picture of the way u'd like it to be... it has a 4"-6" dropped axle. That will make a big diff gettin' it down in the weeds. The rear end is another issue. The engine in the picture is not included? What about a title?!

BoB

I paid $1k as it sits with no motor. It does not have a title since its a fiberglass body and homemade frame. It has yet been completed enough to seek a title here in Ohio. I am hoping I didnt overpay or get into a huge mess. the project will be a budget build. I know I will either have to make some frame adjustments to get the stance I want. Supposedly it needs the fuel cell installed, a radiator, rear brake lines installed, an engine and a tranny. It has the motor mounts ready for a sbc and i am thinking of just getting a cheap 350 and doing some small dress up things to it. What tranny do you guys suggest?

you asked what tranny, please go with a manual. I went to my first car show yesterday and EVERY car there was running a 350/350 except the Mopars. I was litterally disgusted. (was even more disgusted to discover that my daughter is a FORD person)

Price seems reasonable enough to me.By the time you find and add up all the suspension and steering and brakes etc. you can spend quite a bit of money on that stuff alone. Looks like a good project.

overdrive

not a bad price, just a good 'glass body and frame well fetch $1,5.OO
to $2,OOO around here.

for a motor, it's real hard to beat a 350 for reliabillaty and if ya shop around, real good runners are fairly cheap, if treated right, ya can go 200,000 miles, l got 325,000 out of mine. granted, it smoked a little and had some end play:D

tranmission's in this high gas price world should be a overdrive auto 4-speed or a manual 5-6 speed, still fun to drive and get decent fuel milage, even with steep gears.

looks like a good start.

Later:cool:

. (was even more disgusted to discover that my daughter is a FORD person)

lol, thats worse then finding out they been dating.

you got a fair deal, i paid that much for my car then started to building eveything to the point your at.

if you want a budget build. get yourself a 350/ th350 combo. install it and drive it. save your coins till next spring and plan out your build.

looking at your insperation pic, it looks like the frame is z'd and the body channeled. just to get you going.

Picked it up today and its now in the garage. It does really appear to sit high in the front and I was kinda hoping the weights of the engine and tranny would help bring at least the front end down a bit. The plan is to try and find a 350 motor and depending which one I get a deal on, either a a manual or auto tranny. From what I was told, it is set up for a sbc motor and a turbo 350 tranny(is this always an automatic tranny?). I assume the 350 turbo tranny is to go along with this driveshaft that the car came with, but does that mean another tranny wont work with it as well? I really want to get it running and then go back and change what I want. If I cant manage this, I know I will lose interest and then sell. I know alot of guys would rather build it the way they want as they go but I need the quick payoff.

Notice the picture of the way u'd like it to be... it has a 4"-6" dropped axle. That will make a big diff gettin' it down in the weeds. The rear end is another issue. The engine in the picture is not included? What about a title?!

BoB

also may need to change up the front axle mount to get that extra lowness

So I picked up a motor and tranny today for super cheap. Now all I can hope for is they actually are working. My latest questions, with the car came these plates that appear to bolt directly on the 3 holes on the block. There is another hole on the plate that appears to bolt onto the frame. So 3 on the block, 1 on the frame. Now first off, does this sound right and second am I missing something? Shouldnt there be some sort of rubber or bushings? Am I looking at them wrong?

you asked what tranny, please go with a manual. I went to my first car show yesterday and EVERY car there was running a 350/350 except the Mopars. I was litterally disgusted. (was even more disgusted to discover that my daughter is a FORD person)
[cl mopar guys get it right every time. Sorry bout the daughter:D:D

motor mounts

So I picked up a motor and tranny today for super cheap. Now all I can hope for is they actually are working. My latest questions, with the car came these plates that appear to bolt directly on the 3 holes on the block. There is another hole on the plate that appears to bolt onto the frame. So 3 on the block, 1 on the frame. Now first off, does this sound right and second am I missing something? Shouldnt there be some sort of rubber or bushings? Am I looking at them wrong?

you have solid front motor mounts that require a pad to be fabricated and welded to the frame. round tubing with a nut welded inside of it works well.
most circle track race cars use mounts like this.
with this style of mount you may also wish to use a soild mount on the transmission as well to prevent cracking the case. they either both need to flex or both need to be solid. Also you will feel the engine thru the chassis with solid mts, but most rat rods are not designed to ride like luxury cars anyways.

Latest posts

Back