First build, looking for insight

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would plan on utilizing isolators......

What he said!!!! The vibration on a street driven rod will shake most of your teeth loose!:eek:..Chassis Engineering sells a round rubber mount to place on your type of mount. I've had them for the last 20 years.... Also, I think you did great on the price of your rod....[cl...Good luck with the build...CR

you have solid front motor mounts that require a pad to be fabricated and welded to the frame. with this style of mount you may also wish to use a soild mount on the transmission as well to prevent cracking the case. they either both need to flex or both need to be solid.
I would recomend NOT running a solid trans mount. With the amount of flex there is in the chassis you want something to give when it flexes. I see alot of people with solid motor and trans mounts snap the tail shaft housing off when the chassis flexes. I have always run solid motor mounts with poly tns mounts and never had an issue. just my $.02

you have solid front motor mounts that require a pad to be fabricated and welded to the frame. with this style of mount you may also wish to use a soild mount on the transmission as well to prevent cracking the case. they either both need to flex or both need to be solid.
I would recomend NOT running a solid trans mount. With the amount of flex there is in the chassis you want something to give when it flexes. I see alot of people with solid motor and trans mounts snap the tail shaft housing off when the chassis flexes. I have always run solid motor mounts with poly tns mounts and never had an issue. just my $.02

That could be, you have been around these before and I am new to them, they have different chracteristics than roundy rounds I would quess.

Here is what I have. Doesnt this just bolt to the block and then bolt to the bracket welded to my frame/ Should there be anything else?

all38098.jpg

Here is what I have. Doesnt this just bolt to the block and then bolt to the bracket welded to my frame/ Should there be anything else?

all38098.jpg

that is correct, unless you decide to run some sort of isolator as some have suggested. I would use loctite on the bolts and check them once in awhile, the ones that go to the frame used to loosen in racecars, but there was a lot of cornering forces on those.

Made some more progress over the past few days. I picked up a sb350 and
th350 tranny for a few bucks. Its from an old truck and the price was right. They cleaned up a bit and now I will hopefully be testing them to see what kind of condition they are in soon. I was hoping the powertrain when set on the frame would really pull my front end down but it only dropped 2". Now I need to figure out how to get it lower, and I am at a loss. I picked up (2) '34 radiators for a song and I am hoping to be able to get one to work. My driveshaft appears to be to long for the tranny I have so now I need to figure that one out. I am suppose to be hooking up with a local guy who may have some more parts and ideas this weekend(fingers crossed). I was hoping to go kinda low with the stance, but I just cant figure out how to go about it. I have finally hit my first bump where I questioned the point of the whole project. Now I need to focus some more and try to go ahead.

For the front, you'll need to move your spring perch up. For the back, you're probably looking at Z'ing the frame, or at least a C-notch.

Made some more progress over the past few days. I picked up a sb350 and
th350 tranny for a few bucks. Its from an old truck and the price was right. They cleaned up a bit and now I will hopefully be testing them to see what kind of condition they are in soon. I was hoping the powertrain when set on the frame would really pull my front end down but it only dropped 2". Now I need to figure out how to get it lower, and I am at a loss. I picked up (2) '34 radiators for a song and I am hoping to be able to get one to work. My driveshaft appears to be to long for the tranny I have so now I need to figure that one out. I am suppose to be hooking up with a local guy who may have some more parts and ideas this weekend(fingers crossed). I was hoping to go kinda low with the stance, but I just cant figure out how to go about it. I have finally hit my first bump where I questioned the point of the whole project. Now I need to focus some more and try to go ahead.

If the engine/trans came out of a TRUCK, in all likelyhood you have a LONG tailshaft transmission...Your car was likely set up for a SHORT tailshaft tranny out of a passenger car. I believe the tailshaft and housing are interchangeable, but am not 100% sure. Hopefully someone here more "transmission savvy" than me will chime in.

Get her running and driving and don't worry about "lower" right now. You can always tinker later...;)

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back