first build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm beginning work on a 51 F1 myself. There's nothing wrong with doing more of a traditional front end either. Take a good look at DWM56's 51 F1 build thread. It's a great example. If your looking for low, you can always do a suicide style spring behind dropped I beam or tube axle set up if you want? Check out Speedway Motors - (www.speedwaymotors.com) They carry just about everything you'll need and at a very good price. Some company's (example: MAS) even sell a 7 inch drop axle if thats what your after.

Thunder1

You could build a "tower" from the spring pad on the axle. It would create the upper pivot point for a shackle. It would be about 3" taller than the axle and the shackle would hang down from it with the spring in the lower shackle bolt. The trick is to make it attractive. And, if not attractive, at least interesting to look at. It would raise your frame about a half inch in front. If this idea sounds like somethig you might persue but you can't visualize it, I could do a really crappy sketch and photograph it and post it.
Bob

If the upper shackle pivot was welded to the rear edge of the axle,
the shackle could hang at an angle behind the axle,and the front
end would actually be lower.

Lots of pics of Quarter Elliptic suspension around.

2008_0723box0001.jpg

A rough sketch of a shackle bracket bolted to the original axle spring pad. If the spacing is wrong, the bracket could be welded to the axle.

Not much done,just a little floor work.Been to busy on customer cars,plus just had my 4th girl today.Hopefully get to do some work soon.

Congrats on the baby. What bob w says about the weddings. Just married one off a couple of weeks ago.
Not that bad on the wallet. :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek:

Latest posts

Back