First one is sitting in pieces in the garage....sure, consider buying another

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaryVoodooGirl

I haven't even driven the Comet yet and I'm considering buying another car...I'm assuming this is normal?
It's a 1967 Galaxie 500 with a 351 engine with 10,000 miles (automatic transmission)
dual exhaust
possibly needs a rebuild on the carb (or a new one) and a new valve gasket. The person who's offering it to me started it every week for the last year but over the last few months has stopped so the battery etc is dead (no problem) but it runs.

She's offered to hold onto it until I get back to Oregon in the spring....$600. She's sending more photos tomorrow, but I'm 90% on picking up this car. The Comet *should* be done by then (that's the plan anyways, I'm driving it to Oregon in the spring)

Thoughts???
293008_10150967360680810_1607329382_n.jpg

yep

what is normal?

that how l ended up with several projects, gottta have more than one:D.

6 bills ain't to bad, if it runs. throw in the few parts it needs and drive the heck outta it.

Later :cool:

I'd go for it, looks like it would make a great cruiser and you cant beat the price. Projects are like money, you can never have enough.:)

More "good deals" with real or imagined redeeming qualitys kept me from ever finishing anything for about 25 years of my life. Just think, it's $600 closer that your build will get towards done. On the other hand, I'd buy it, spend a little time and a few $$ then flip it for a good profit, shouldn't take much to make a $1500-$1800 car out of it for a quick turn around.

More "good deals" with real or imagined redeeming qualitys kept me from ever finishing anything for about 25 years of my life. Just think, it's $600 closer that your build will get towards done. On the other hand, I'd buy it, spend a little time and a few $$ then flip it for a good profit, shouldn't take much to make a $1500-$1800 car out of it for a quick turn around.

haha except the Comet is up here in Canada and being done by myself and friends/clients...they get paid in tattoo time. I don't really like to/mean to project the stereo type, but $600 is a good days work really, not too hard to make up. The Galaxie wouldn't get any work done on it until I get to Oregon next spring. Kathie is willing to keep it covered and drop in a new battery and start it on the weekly again until then....well, barring something I don't like in the photos (still waiting on those haha) I'm pretty sure I"m buying a 1967 Galaxie 500 haha

Sounds like a good deal to me, but asking a bunch of car nuts if you should buy another project, is like asking a drunk if you should have another drink.

Even though I've owned a few Fords over the years (including a 65 Comet), I'm not really a fan of that four letter word :D However...I always liked the mid-60's Galaxies. I think you'd be getting a heck of a deal as long as the underneath is still there.

I've asked her about the frame etc. And from what she tells me it's sound and there is only surface rust on the body etc. I've known her for a few years and would have no reason to think she's trying to sell me a junker. She bought it for her son a couple years ago for almost 2 grand and he still hasn't gotten his license...so now she just wants it gone. One would think if she paid that much for it just a few years ago it should be pretty good to go....at least I hope haha

If it were around here, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! I learned to drive in a 67 Custom 500 4 door, the next level lower trim than the Galaxie. That car looks pretty solid, but check the cowl and the rear quarters for rust. Pour a gallon of water thru the cowl vents in front of the windsheild, if it gets the floor wet, you know you have a rusted out cowl. Think $ to fix. Ford didn't use much galvanized steel back then, they built them to sell, not last....

Sounds like a good deal to me, but asking a bunch of car nuts if you should buy another project, is like asking a drunk if you should have another drink.
Good analogy, I never thought of it that way :D
OK, just one more, then I gotta go [ddd

If it were around here, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! I learned to drive in a 67 Custom 500 4 door, the next level lower trim than the Galaxie. That car looks pretty solid, but check the cowl and the rear quarters for rust. Pour a gallon of water thru the cowl vents in front of the windsheild, if it gets the floor wet, you know you have a rusted out cowl. Think $ to fix. Ford didn't use much galvanized steel back then, they built them to sell, not last....

thanks! I'm having her do that tonight!

bought it! She's moving it into dry storage until I can get down there and pick it up. I honestly have half a mind to fly down there after the east coast tattoo trip (Or I guess, just over there), spend a quick grand and get the carb and valve gasket taken care of and then drive it back...mainly because, well, I don't have a car here haha. I bus it or cab it wherever in the city and wouldn't mind having a ride haha

Great! I love the 60's Fords. Dad's had a 289, it would move pretty good, so the 351 should really do a great job.

You might be better off to just buy a reman carb and swap it out. Valve cover gaskets should be a breeze, they put big blocks in those cars so with the 351 you should have plenty of working room!

haha except the Comet is up here in Canada and being done by myself and friends/clients...they get paid in tattoo time. I don't really like to/mean to project the stereo type, but $600 is a good days work really, not too hard to make up. The Galaxie wouldn't get any work done on it until I get to Oregon next spring. Kathie is willing to keep it covered and drop in a new battery and start it on the weekly again until then....well, barring something I don't like in the photos (still waiting on those haha) I'm pretty sure I"m buying a 1967 Galaxie 500 haha

Dam girl. If I was knocking out $600 a day, I'd be looking at a lot more expensive cars. Anyway when you look at it as a days wages, it's a no brainer unless it turns out to be a bondoed up rust bucket or something. Even then the drive train is probably worth that if it runs good.

Dam girl. If I was knocking out $600 a day, I'd be looking at a lot more expensive cars. Anyway when you look at it as a days wages, it's a no brainer unless it turns out to be a bondoed up rust bucket or something. Even then the drive train is probably worth that if it runs good.

that's on a good day. I still have zero days every now and then, but one of the benefits of travelling so much is when I am in town for a few months people book in and keep me busy. On the down side...I travel so much haha and flights/expenses can get expensive. Sometimes it's not the price of the car though, it's stuff that catches my eye. For example, I just spent $80 on a shirt....a shirt! but it couples nicely with my $20 jeans

Latest posts

Back